During your spar time as physics majors

• Programs
  • Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics Time
In summary: I'm excited to find out how much of what I read is true.In summary, a majority of the people interviewed (70%) teach themselves physics that is not covered in their high school physics classes. They do this by either doing research or reading books on physics topics.
Benzoate
How many of you teach yourselves physics that has not be taught in your respective physics classes? Meaning, do a lot of you research or look into topics in physics fields like trying to understand why the corona of the sun is hotter than the photophere by going to the university library and checking out books on physics topics like solid state physics and astrophysics to figure out which physics topics interest you the most if you were a physics graduate student.

I know I learned about the solar wind better when I checked out a book on the basics of the solar wind than going to some dry astrophysics class where the lecturer looks like he rather be doing his research than teaching to a bunch of sleepy eyed post-teenagers. I know I at least check out five books per visit to my university library and I am a frequent visitor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the course load I am taking.
I try to learn a little about a lot of subjects and topics when I do research on my own during the semester. I rarely go very in depth just because my classes need more attention. I tend to find myself reading more pop-sci books during the semester where as in the summer time I have more time to dedicate and can go more in depth. In the summers I try and brush up on math skills just reading through various books.

well, during the year I try to read the textbooks, and occasionally pop sci books... last summer I read Feynman's lectures on physics, I'm doing research with my professor this summer, but I can't figure out what I want to work on, I am reading a Q and A style book (flying circus of physics) that's giving me a lot of ideas, the author is very humble, when a phenomena or something is not well understood he tells you that he couldn't find any satisfying answer and perhaps 1 or 2 theories

FAQ: During your spar time as physics majors

What is the most common extracurricular activity for physics majors?

The most common extracurricular activity for physics majors during their spare time is conducting research projects or participating in internships at research facilities.

How do physics majors typically spend their free time?

Physics majors often spend their free time studying and completing assignments, as well as attending lectures and participating in lab experiments. They may also spend time discussing and debating physics concepts with classmates.

Do physics majors participate in any clubs or organizations related to their field?

Yes, many physics majors join clubs or organizations such as the Society of Physics Students or the American Physical Society, which provide opportunities for networking, conferences, and workshops.

Are there any popular hobbies or interests among physics majors?

Some popular hobbies and interests among physics majors include reading science fiction, playing video games or board games, and participating in outdoor activities such as hiking or stargazing.

How can physics majors balance their academic workload with their free time?

To balance their academic workload with their free time, physics majors often prioritize their tasks and create a schedule to manage their time effectively. They may also take breaks and engage in relaxation techniques to avoid burnout.