Dynamic FBD - Man and box sliding on an incline

In summary, the man is trying to pull the box up a slope, but the box accelerates faster and the man can't keep up. The tension in the rope keeps the box from sliding down the slope.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/493/capturemml.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my attempt. I assumed that both the man and the box would slide down the incline. (The box is the left diagram and the man is on the right)
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7628/photorxq.jpg
The acceleration I get from this attempt tells me that they accelerate the other way. So do I have to change the directions of the friction forces to find the answer? I am not sure what to do next. Also how do I use the coefficient of static friction in this question?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First find the maximum force can be applied(or pulled) by the man before he slips.

azizlwl said:
First find the maximum force can be applied(or pulled) by the man before he slips.

Is that just 784sin(37)? Since it's limited only by the friction force.

2 objects, man and box.

3 forces acting on the man.
The components of his weight, the force he pulls the box and static frictional force-Nμs.
Pulling force is limited by static force.

Check if his pulling force greater than the net downward force acting on the box.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:
2 objects, man and box.

3 forces acting on the man.
The components of his weight, the force he pulls the box and static frictional force-Nμs.
Pulling force is limited by static force.

Check if his pulling force greater than the net downward force acting on the box.

Okay so I was given a hint by TA to assume there is no rope and to find the accelerations of both the box and the man. Turns out, the acceleration of the box is greater than the man so they will accelerate down the slope as one system and there will be tension in the rope.

As for what you said about the pulling force, do you mean the tension in the rope? I am confused :S

Next I proceeded to solve the system of equations but I still get the wrong answer:
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/408/photo1feh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just imagine there is a spring in the middle connected between the man and the box.
If the spring is contracted, it will pull the man down and the box up.
The spring is the muscles of the hands that being contracted to produce the force.

From the question, the man is trying to pull.
So he is applying a force and is transmitted to the box via the rope.
This force must be equal and opposite, according to Newton's 3rd law.

I'm not quite sure how to redraw the FBD with the muscles. Is my FBD correct first of all?

a=g(Sinθ-Cosθμ)

Since kinetic friction for the man less than the box, the rope will not be taut.

Thus the box will accelerate independently.

What is a "Dynamic FBD"?

Dynamic FBD stands for "Dynamic Free Body Diagram." It is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in a dynamic situation, such as when it is moving or accelerating. It is a useful tool for analyzing the motion of objects and determining the net force acting on them.

How is a Dynamic FBD different from a regular FBD?

A regular FBD is used to analyze the forces acting on an object at rest or in equilibrium. In contrast, a Dynamic FBD is used to analyze the forces acting on an object in motion or undergoing acceleration. This means that the forces represented on a Dynamic FBD may change over time, while those on a regular FBD are constant.

What is the significance of a man and box sliding on an incline in a Dynamic FBD?

The scenario of a man and box sliding on an incline is a common example used in physics to illustrate the concepts of forces, motion, and acceleration. It allows for the application of Newton's laws of motion and the use of a Dynamic FBD to analyze the forces acting on the objects in this situation.

What are the key components of a Dynamic FBD for a man and box sliding on an incline?

The key components of a Dynamic FBD for this scenario are the forces acting on the man and the box, such as the force of gravity, normal force, and friction. The angle of the incline and the mass of the objects are also important factors to consider in the diagram.

How can a Dynamic FBD help in solving problems related to a man and box sliding on an incline?

A Dynamic FBD provides a visual representation of the forces acting on the objects in this scenario, making it easier to apply Newton's laws of motion and solve for unknown quantities, such as the acceleration or the coefficient of friction. It also allows for the identification of any unbalanced forces that may be causing the motion or preventing the objects from sliding down the incline.