1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Coursework; Velocity/Acceleration/Kinetic Friction

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The 125kg concrete block A is released from rest in the position shown and pulls the 200kg log up the theta=30degrees ramp.

Case 1: if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the log and the ramp is Uk=0.5
    (a) Find the magnitudes of velocity and acceleration of the block A as it hits the ground at B

Case 2: If it is changed to a log with 400kg, consider kinetic friction between the log and ramp Uk=0.5. Determine the value of the critical slope (theta), that if theta is larger than this value, the log will slip down when the concrete block A is released.

Case 3: If theta=30degrees and it is changed to a log of 400kg, determine the value of the friction coefficient (the critical friction coefficient) that would result in a zero acceleration of the block.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attachments:
    'pic' shows a diagram of the problem
    '001' shows my cable and FBD for how i have set up my equations
    '002' shows my working so far for the first question

Attempts:
    Case 1: I have achieved 2 equations as shown in 002
    0.5(173.205)-2T+200sin30=(200/9.8)Ac
    or 186.6025-2T=(200/9.8)Ac
    and 125-T=(125/9.8)Aa

I currently have 2 equations with 3 unknowns, and dont quite know how to approach that.
    For Case 1, I simply have to work out those 3 variables and then find velocity of Block A using Aa and fall distance, but really need a little assistance working out those set of equations.

Am currently working on other problems until I can get Case 1 done, then I will post attempts at Case 2 and 3, but if anyone can allude as to how I should approach them when I get there, that would be fantastic too.

Thankyou!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2
    Replying because it doesnt seem that the attachments worked.

Attached Files:

• pic.jpg
      pic.jpg
      File size:
      7.2 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      4.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      6.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    I also found the third equation to use as 0=2Aa+2Ac.

Using this I found T, and substituted it in to find Aa and Ac.
    However, by this method Aa and Ac and equal with opposite signs (as I should have predicted from the above formula). This is incorrect, so i'm stumped again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook