Dynamics in the heizenberg picture

In summary, the time-derivative of an operator A(t) in the heizenberg picture is given by a formula involving the Hamiltonian and the operator itself. Under the condition that the Hamiltonian is not dependent on time, this formula simplifies to a form that does not involve the Hamiltonian. However, this condition does not hold in all cases, as demonstrated by the example of a Hamiltonian that is time-dependent but still allows for simplification of the formula.
dudy
Hello,
The time-derivative of an operator [itex] A(t) = U^\dagger a(t)U [/itex] in the heizenberg picture is given by:

[itex]\frac{dA(t)}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar} [H,A(t)] + U^\dagger(\frac{da(t)}{dt})U [/itex]

Now, I know that under some conditions, we can write:

[itex]\frac{dA(t)}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar} U^\dagger[H,a(t)]U + U^\dagger(\frac{da(t)}{dt})U [/itex]

My question is- what are those conditions?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Under the condition that the Hamiltonian is not dependent on time.

is there a more specific rule?
take for example:

[itex] H = a^\dagger e^{-i\omega t} + a e^{i\omega t} [/itex]

(here [itex]a[/itex] is the annihilation operator).

This Hamiltonian is of course time-dependant,
but, non-the-less, it is also true that:

[itex]\frac{dA(t)}{dt} = \frac{i}{\hbar} U^\dagger[H,a]U[/itex]

(where [itex]A(t)[/itex] is the annihilation operator in heizenberg's picture)

1. What is the Heisenberg picture in dynamics?

The Heisenberg picture is a formulation of quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of physical systems. It is named after Werner Heisenberg, one of the pioneers of quantum mechanics. In this picture, the operators representing physical observables, such as position and momentum, are time-dependent while the states of the system are time-independent.

2. How does the Heisenberg picture differ from the Schrödinger picture?

In the Schrödinger picture, the states of the system are time-dependent while the operators are time-independent. This means that the states evolve in time while the observables remain fixed. In contrast, in the Heisenberg picture, the operators evolve in time while the states remain fixed. Both pictures give equivalent descriptions of the same physical system.

3. What is the significance of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in dynamics?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle, also known as the uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know certain pairs of physical quantities, such as position and momentum, with arbitrary precision. This principle has important implications in the dynamics of quantum systems, as it puts a limit on the precision with which we can measure certain physical quantities.

4. How is the time evolution of operators described in the Heisenberg picture?

In the Heisenberg picture, the time evolution of an operator A is given by the Heisenberg equation of motion:

iℏ ∂A(t)/∂t = [A(t), H]

where ℏ is the reduced Planck's constant and H is the Hamiltonian operator of the system. This equation describes how the operator A changes in time and is derived from the Schrödinger equation.

5. What are the advantages of using the Heisenberg picture in dynamics?

The Heisenberg picture has several advantages over the Schrödinger picture in certain scenarios. One advantage is that it simplifies the time evolution of operators, as they are time-dependent rather than the states. This can make calculations easier in some cases. Additionally, the Heisenberg picture is better suited for studying systems with time-dependent Hamiltonians, such as in quantum field theory. However, both pictures are equally valid and can be used interchangeably depending on the problem at hand.