1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics - Motion in a Plane, Problem

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 5000kg rocket is launched at 44.7º with a thrust of 140,700N.
    a. Find an equation y(x) that describes the rocket's trajectory.
    b. Shape of trajectory?
    c. At what elevation does the rocket reach the speed of sound, 330m/s?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    The distance, acceleration, and velocity formulas.

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I found the acceleration = 22.36 m/s^2 (this is after including gravity).

I drew a triangle and calculated the acceleration's x and y components. acceleration of x comp. = 20 m/s^2. acceleration of y comp. = 10 m/s^2 (including gravity).

Using these acceleration x and y components, I found the x and y components for distance:
    distance of x comp. = 2.486t. distance of y comp. = 1.131t.

For part a:
    So, I wasn't sure exactly what they wanted for part a but this is what I did. The answer in the back of the book says y=(1/2)x, so I'm guessing they want the distance of y as a function of x (which is what the answer was). I'm not sure how to do that.

For part b:
    I figured the shape of the trajectory would be parabolic since it is constantly accelerating. I thought trajectory was only a straight line if velocity was constant?

For part c:
    Using my equations, I calculated it to be 37.32m, which is not correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm doing these in preparation for a test and I really need to understand these type of problems. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That doesn't look right. How did you calculate those?
    Once you have correct expressions for x and y as functions of t, just eliminate t between them.
    No. If y = f(t) and x = 2*f(t) then x = 2y for all t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook