Dynamics - Normal and Tangential Coordinates

In summary, a runner on a 130-meter outdoor track reaches their maximum speed in 4 seconds with constant tangential acceleration and maintains that speed for a total time of 54 seconds. The magnitude of the maximum total acceleration of the runner is 2.18 m/s^2, with a tangential acceleration of 1.96 m/s^2 and a normal acceleration of 0.948 m/s^2.
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

An outdoor track is full circle of diameter 130 meters. A runner starts from rest and reaches her maximum speed in 4 seconds with constant tangential acceleration and then maintains that speed until she completes the circle with a total time of 54 seconds. Determine the magnitude of the maximum total acceleration of the runner

Homework Equations

[tex]a_t = \frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]a_n = \frac{(v_t)^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]a = \sqrt{(a_t)^2+(a_n)^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ugh.. I attempted this problem for about thirty minutes and realized I needed some help. Can someone give me some guidelines? If I am able to find the maximum tangential velocity somehow, then I think I can do the problem, but I just cannot find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The runner accelerates at constant rate for 4 sec, hence speed at the end of that time is V=a*(4 sec). Then travels at speed V for 50 sec. How far did the runner travel during the 4 sec, acceleration period (in terms of a) and how far during the 50 sec constant speed period (in terms of a). if you add them the total is 130m. Solve for a.

Dick said:
The runner accelerates at constant rate for 4 sec, hence speed at the end of that time is V=a*(4 sec). Then travels at speed V for 50 sec. How far did the runner travel during the 4 sec, acceleration period (in terms of a) and how far during the 50 sec constant speed period (in terms of a). if you add them the total is 130m. Solve for a.

Ok so for the first 4 seconds

[tex]
s = \frac{1}{2}at^2 = 16a
[/tex]

is the distance.

and from 4 seconds to 54 seconds

[tex]
s = s_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2
[/tex]

Acceleration is equal to 0 at this point so

[tex]
s = 16a + 4a * 50 = 216a
[/tex]

[tex]
216a = 130m
[/tex]

a = 0.602 m/s^2

Is this really the total acceleration? What about the normal component of the acceleration? That needs to be accounted as well, doesn't it? If that is the case, does this acceleration represent the tangential acceleration?

(1/2)*a*t^2 with t=4 doesn't give you 16a. And, yes, everything so far is tangential. Use the formulas you've quoted to handle the normal part. Notice that the magnitude of the normal acceleration varies as the runner speeds up.

Dick said:
(1/2)*a*t^2 with t=4 doesn't give you 16a. And, yes, everything so far is tangential. Use the formulas you've quoted to handle the normal part. Notice that the magnitude of the normal acceleration will need to be written as a function of time. It is varying as the runner speeds up.

The equation used to find the normal acceleration is

[tex]
a_n(t) = \frac{(v_t(t))^2}{r}
[/tex]

But the velocity is increasing only until 4 seconds. Until then, the equation is

[tex]
v_t(t) = a_t*t
[/tex]

After then, the velocity remains constant.

How do I associate this fact with the normal acceleration equation? I can't possibly just plug it in. Do I define a step function?

Last edited by a moderator:
The normal component of the acceleration increases in magnitude for the first 4 sec, then remains constant. The tangential component remains constant for the first 4 sec, and then drops to zero. At what point in time do you think the total magnitude will be greatest? Attention to the error in computing (1/2*a*t^2!

Dick said:
The normal component of the acceleration increases in magnitude for the first 4 sec, then remains constant. The tangential component remains constant for the first 4 sec, and then drops to zero. At what point in time do you think the total magnitude will be greatest? Attention to the error in computing (1/2*a*t^2!

Wait, if that is the case, we didn't even need tangential velocity in terms of time, since the greatest normal acceleration occurs on the greatest tangential velocity, which is t = 4 seconds. Can you check this work for me?

[tex]
s = \frac{1}{2}at^2 = 8a
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
s = 8a + 4a * 50 = 208a
[/tex]

[tex]
208a = 130m
[/tex]

[tex]
a_t = 0.625 m/s^2
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = \frac{v^2_t(t)}{r}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = \frac{(0.625 * 4)^2}{130}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = 0.048 m/s^2
[/tex]

[tex]
a = \sqrt{(0.625^2)+(0.048^2)}
[/tex]

[tex]
a= 0.626 m/s^2
[/tex]

OOOPS. Hold it. 130m is the diameter, so it's NOT the circumference and it's NOT the radius. I've been being sloppy. Can you correct those numbers? Sorry.

Ah noticed it too

[tex]
s = \frac{1}{2}at^2 = 8a
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
s = 8a + 4a * 50 = 208a
[/tex]

[tex]
208a = 130 * 3.14
[/tex]

[tex]
a_t = 1.9625 m/s^2
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = \frac{v^2_t(t)}{r}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = \frac{(1.9625 * 4)^2}{65}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = 0.483m/s^2
[/tex]

[tex]
a = \sqrt{(1.9625^2)+(0.483^2)}
[/tex]

[tex]
a= 1.964m/s^2
[/tex]

I don't like the a_n calculation. It looks like you should get a number near 1.

Dick said:
I don't like the a_n calculation. It looks like you should get a number near 1.

Ahhh I don't like it either. I will never trust windows calculators from now on. Microsoft should just burn in hell.

[tex]
s = \frac{1}{2}at^2 = 8a
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex]
s = 8a + 4a * 50 = 208a
[/tex]

[tex]
208a = 130 * 3.14
[/tex]

[tex]
a_t = 1.9625 m/s^2
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = \frac{v^2_t(t)}{r}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = \frac{(1.9625 * 4)^2}{65}
[/tex]

[tex]
a_n = 0.948m/s^2
[/tex]

[tex]
a = \sqrt{(1.9625^2)+(0.948^2)}
[/tex]

[tex]
a= 2.18m/s^2
[/tex]

Looks ok now. Finally.

Dick said:
Looks ok now. Finally.

PROBLEM SOLVED! OMFGWTFBBQ! THANKS!

What is the difference between normal and tangential coordinates?

The key difference between normal and tangential coordinates is the direction in which they measure motion. Normal coordinates measure motion perpendicular to a given reference point or axis, while tangential coordinates measure motion parallel to the reference point or axis.

How are normal and tangential coordinates used in dynamics?

In dynamics, normal and tangential coordinates are used to describe the motion of an object in a given reference frame. They are essential in calculating forces, velocities, and accelerations in a system.

Can normal and tangential coordinates be used interchangeably?

No, normal and tangential coordinates cannot be used interchangeably. Both coordinates have unique mathematical equations and are used to describe different aspects of motion in a system. It is important to correctly identify which coordinate system is being used in order to accurately analyze the motion of an object.

What are some real-world applications of normal and tangential coordinates?

Normal and tangential coordinates are used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. They are used to calculate trajectories of moving objects, such as satellites, and to design structures that can withstand forces acting in different directions.

How do I convert between normal and tangential coordinates?

To convert between normal and tangential coordinates, you can use trigonometric functions and the angle between the two coordinate systems. Alternatively, you can use vector algebra to transform coordinates from one system to another.