1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Normal and Tangential components of accelaration

1. Jun 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Particle moves in the plane in a such a way that its polar equation of motion is ## \vec{R}=t\vec{i}+(t^2+1)\vec{j}##.
    a)What are its normal and tangential components of accelaration any time t ?
    b)Whats the curvature of path any time t ?
    2. Relevant equations
    ##\vec{a}=d^2s/dt^2\vec{T}+k\vec{N}d^2s/dt^2##
    ##k=dθ/ds##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I couldnt find ##ds/dt## I tried but I stucked.
    I have no idea to find k but I couldnt find s

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2015 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

One note to avoid confusion. The [itex]\frac{ds}{dt}[/itex] you wrote is the magnitude of the velocity, whereas the [itex]\frac{d\vec{R}}{dt}[/itex] is its vector.

Where did you get that equation for [itex]k[/itex]?

4. Jun 15, 2015 #3
    Yeah I remember equations false I checked again it was ##d\vec{R}/ds##
    I remembered that false too it will be ##k=dθ/ds##

5. Jun 15, 2015 #4
    And Is this equation true every time ? ##d\vec{T}/dθ=\vec{N}## (N is not unit vector).I now its a stupid qustion but the derivation of it come to me not generally true

6. Jun 15, 2015 #5

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Let me put it else... what does [itex]\theta[/itex] stand for?

7. Jun 15, 2015 #6

you can look the graph

8. Jun 15, 2015 #7
    I got the idea in 21:49 look the magnitude of ##d\vec{T}/ds=dθ/ds=k## Is that mean the magnitude of ##\vec{N}## equal ##k##.I am confused one time he says ##d\vec{T}/dθ=\vec{N}##(In 10:49) now he says ##d\vec{T}/ds=\vec{N}## Is it a special case which I mentioned ?

9. Jun 15, 2015 #8

ChrisVer

Gold Member

The magnitude of [itex]\vec{N}[/itex] is unity (it's a unit vector). [itex]k= \Big| \frac{d\vec{T}}{ds} \Big|[/itex] is some number and so:
    [itex] \vec{N} = \frac{d \vec{T}}{ds} \Big/ \Big| \frac{d\vec{T}}{ds} \Big|[/itex] has magnitude equal to 1.

10. Jun 15, 2015 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

First of all, did you find the tangent and normal vector to the acceleration?(question a)

11. Jun 15, 2015 #10

ChrisVer

Gold Member

It is just because the normal vector is:

[itex] \vec{N} \equiv \frac{d\vec{T}}{dt} \Big/ \Big|\frac{d \vec{T}}{dt} \Big|[/itex]

12. Jun 15, 2015 #11
    Tangent vector is [itex] \vec{T} = \frac{d \vec{R}}{dt} \Big/ \Big| \frac{d\vec{R}}{dt} \Big|[/itex] so Its ##\vec{T}=1/√5\vec{i}+2/√5t\vec{j}##.Normal vector will be then ##\vec{N}=\vec{j}##

13. Jun 15, 2015 #12
    beg me but I didnt understand first ds (in your #8 post) now we can use dt. Whatever we want we can use that equation I guess.

In previous post I did something wrong cause dot product of T and N must be zero and here its not

14. Jun 15, 2015 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Your T looks wrong. What's dR/dt ? and what's |dR/dt| ?

15. Jun 15, 2015 #14

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I am using the parameter of your curve.

16. Jun 15, 2015 #15
    dR/dt=i+4j If I divide the lenght which its √17 I find dT/dt=i/√17+2/√17j I made a huge mistake I must be an idiot soort

17. Jun 15, 2015 #16

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Either you use the parameter [itex]t[/itex]/[itex]\lambda[/itex],[itex]\theta[/itex] or whatever you call it, or the arc-length [itex]s[/itex] it doesn't matter....
    [itex] \frac{d \vec{T}}{ds}[/itex] will point to the same direction as [itex] \frac{d \vec{T}}{dt}[/itex]. That can be seen by rewritting:
    [itex] \frac{d \vec{T}}{ds} = \frac{d \vec{T}}{dt} \Big/ \frac{ds}{dt} [/itex] so you are only getting a multiplicative factor of [itex] (ds/dt)^{-1}[/itex] between the vector [itex] \frac{d \vec{T}}{ds}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{d \vec{T}}{dt}[/itex]. You don't care about that factor as long as you normalize them.

18. Jun 15, 2015 #17

ChrisVer

Gold Member

this is wrong, what's the derivative [itex] \frac{d}{dt} (t^2+1)[/itex]?

19. Jun 15, 2015 #18
    I made a huge mistake I must be an idiot so so soory

20. Jun 15, 2015 #19

ChrisVer

Gold Member

so?

21. Jun 15, 2015 #20
    dR/dt=i+4j If I divide the lenght which its √17 I find dT/dt=i/√17+2/√17j

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted