Dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where two particles of different masses are attached to a string and released from rest. The question asks for the greatest height that one of the particles reaches above the ground. The answer is found by considering the work done on the particle during the acceleration phase and deceleration phase. Ultimately, the answer is 2.66 meters, with the particle ending up 4.66 meters above the ground.
Googl
Hi all,

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place. I am not to familiar with the forum titles and new setting. I have an argument and this is not homework.

Suppose two particles P and Q of masses 2m and m respectivily are attached to the ends of a light inextensible string which passes over a smooth fixed pulley. They both hang at a distance of 2m above the horizontal ground. The system is released from rest.

Given that particle Q does not reach the pulley, Find the greatest height that Q reaches above the ground.

I know how to find final velocities, decelerations etc through the system for each particle. I have got a total distance of 4.66m, however the answer is 2.66 which I am thinking is wrong.

Since both particles hung 2m above ground Q will be at a distance of 4m as soon as P hits the ground and then continue a small distance of 0.665m during the deceleration span due to the tension in the string.

Am I right.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer sounds correct to me.

As you point out, particle P hits the ground when particle Q is 2 meters above its starting position. That puts Q 4 meters above ground.

At that point Q had been accelerating through 2 meters with an upward acceleration of 1/3 gravity. It continued upward with a downward acceleration of 1 gravity. Equating the work done on particle Q in the two phases and solving, you get 2/3 of a meter of additional travel for a total of 2.66 meters travel ending 4.66 meters above ground.

1. What is the equation of motion for a particle moving in a straight line?

The equation of motion for a particle moving in a straight line is given by x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the position of the particle at time t, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How does the velocity of a particle change over time?

The velocity of a particle changes over time due to the influence of acceleration. If the acceleration is constant, the velocity will change at a constant rate. If the acceleration is not constant, the velocity will change at a varying rate.

3. What is the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration for a particle moving in a straight line?

The relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration for a particle moving in a straight line is given by v = v0 + at and x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2. This shows that the velocity and displacement are directly proportional to time, while the acceleration is constant.

4. How does the acceleration of a particle affect its motion?

The acceleration of a particle determines how its velocity and position will change over time. If the acceleration is positive, the particle will speed up; if it is negative, the particle will slow down. The direction of the acceleration also affects the direction of the particle's motion.

5. Can the velocity of a particle ever be greater than its initial velocity?

Yes, the velocity of a particle can be greater than its initial velocity if the acceleration is also greater than zero. This means that the particle is gaining speed as it moves in a straight line, resulting in a higher velocity than its initial value.