1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics Problem about Velocity

1. Feb 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, I was working on this problem and I want to know if it can be solved by using an indefinite integral, so here it goes:

A car starts from rest and travels along a straight track such that it accelerates at 10 m/s^2 for 10 s, and then decelerates at 2 m/s^2 . Determine the velocity of the car.

2. Relevant equations
    My question is if I can solve this using INDEFINITE INTEGRALS ONLY?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have obtained the correct answer using a definite integral:

For 0 less than or equal to t less than or equal to 10:
    Integral from 0 to v (1) (dv) = integral from 0 to t (10) dt v=10t
    For 10 less than or equal to t less than or equal to t'
    Integral from 100 to v (1) dv = integral from 10 to t (-2 ) dt = v=-2t+120

I'm able to obtain the same result (when using an indefinite integral) for t between 0-10 but for 10-t I cant, also in my book it says that v1 = delta v + v0, well I can clearly see that when using the definite integral but not when I have to use the indefinite integral..

I tried this for t between 10-t : int (1) dv = int (-2) dt = v+c = -2t+C = v=-2t which is incorrect, then I said ok I forgot to add v0 but still I get v=-2t+100 which is still incorrect..

Also if I see it like this: v1= -2t + C + v0 I still cant get a clear understanding because I cant get a value for C.. Please help me and thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This question should be done by indefinite integration.

The velocity is provided by the area under the acceleration-time graph.
    For the first section: $$v(0<t\leq 10)=10\int \;dt = 10t+c$$ ... here, ##c## is the constant of integration
    - the indefinite integral gives you a family of possible solutions, only one of them is the solution to the problem you have. Find it by working out which value of c matches your problem.

- to work out what ##c## has to be, you use the fact that you also know the value of v at a particular time t ... specifically at t=0. So you put that point into the general solution and solve for c.

For the second section $$v(t>10) = -2 \int\; dt = -2t+d$$ ... here ##d## is the constant of integration and ##v(0) \neq 0## because this part of the journey did not go through ##t=0##.
    What you need to find ##d## is some point on the line for the second part of the journey you already know the value of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted