Highest velocity of a girl running a 60m dash

In summary: Average speed for the second phase is just the maximum speed.You can, of course, do the same thing with the equations that represent the graph.
HareJare
Homework Statement
A girl is running 60m on 8.6 s. What is her biggest velocity, if the acceleration is konstant for the first 15m and then the velocity is constant after that?
Relevant Equations
v^2 - v0^2 = 2as
s = v * t
So i know the total time is 8.6 s

t1 + t2 = 8.6s

And from the (v^2 - v0^2 = 2as) i will get that after 15m the velocity which is also the highest velocity
v^2 = 30a

And then after that the velocity will be constant (s = v*t)
45/t2

Now i am stuck here because i have 3 equations but 4 variabels how do i solve this or is this even the right way to think about this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
HareJare said:
Homework Statement:: A girl is running 60m on 8.6 s. What is her biggest velocity, if the acceleration is konstant for the first 15m and then the velocity is constant after that?
Relevant Equations:: v^2 - v0^2 = 2as
s = v * t

So i know the total time is 8.6 s

t1 + t2 = 8.6s

And from the (v^2 - v0^2 = 2as) i will get that after 15m the velocity which is also the highest velocity
v^2 = 30a

And then after that the velocity will be constant (s = v*t)
45/t2

Now i am stuck here because i have 3 equations but 4 variabels how do i solve this or is this even the right way to think about this problem?
There is only one unknown, which is the constant acceleration ##a##. Can you express the total time to cover ##60m = 15m + 45m## in terms of ##a##?

8.6 = sqrt(30/a) + ?

i don't know how to do the second term

HareJare said:
8.6 = sqrt(30/a) + ?

i don't know how to do the second term
You know the distance and you know the speed (in terms of ##a##). Can you use that?

PS It might be better to do everything in terms of the speed ##v## attained after ##15m##.

You don't need to find the acceleration at all.

PeroK said:
PS It might be better to do everything in terms of the speed ##v## attained after ##15m##.

You don't need to find the acceleration at all.
What do you mean?

HareJare said:
What do you mean?
Forget the acceleration and just focus on the maximum speed ##v##.

As an alternative, note that the area under a velocity against time graph is the distance. If you draw a graph, there is an extremely simple geometric solution.

PeroK said:
Forget the acceleration and just focus on the maximum speed ##v##.

As an alternative, note that the area under a velocity against time graph is the distance. If you draw a graph, there is an extremely simple geometric solution.
how do i get the time for the last 45m?

HareJare said:
how do i get the time for the last 45m?
You don't need to calculate that. Draw a velocity vs time graph.

Okay i did that and now calculate the area?

HareJare said:
Okay i did that and now calculate the area?
You know the length of the base (that's ##T = 8.6s##) and you know the height is ##v##. The area of the big rectangle is ##vT##. Can you relate that to the distances of ##15m## and ##45m## represneted by the triangle and the smaller rectangle?

Okay thank you for your help but i don't understand how to do it this way.

HareJare said:
Okay thank you for your help but i don't understand how to do it this way.
You can, of course, do the same thing with the equations that represent the graph. Think about average speed for the first phase.

What is the highest velocity a girl has ever reached while running a 60m dash?

The highest velocity a girl has ever reached while running a 60m dash is 11.07 meters per second, achieved by Florence Griffith-Joyner in 1988.

How does velocity affect a girl's performance in a 60m dash?

Velocity is a crucial factor in a girl's performance in a 60m dash. The higher the velocity, the faster she can cover the distance and potentially achieve a better time.

What factors can affect a girl's velocity while running a 60m dash?

Several factors can affect a girl's velocity while running a 60m dash, including her technique, strength, and conditioning. Other external factors such as wind resistance, track conditions, and weather can also play a role.

How does the velocity of a girl running a 60m dash compare to that of a boy?

On average, boys tend to have a higher velocity than girls when running a 60m dash. This is due to physiological differences such as muscle and bone structure, as well as hormonal factors.

Is there a maximum velocity a girl can reach while running a 60m dash?

There is no set maximum velocity a girl can reach while running a 60m dash. However, it is believed that the human body has a limit to how fast it can move, and it may vary from person to person.