Dynamics problem: Rod on a rough surface

In summary, the problem seems to be that we are not understanding the principle of work, and we are trying to apply it to an incorrect situation. I think the guy's solution is wrong because he's assumed a constant force to be displacing the entire rod by "dy" to get "dW", which won't make sense because different forces are acting on each part of the rod.
Ak94
Not exactly homework, but this is a problem that a guy posed me.. and we seem to be getting different answers. I'm not entirely sure where either of us is going wrong.

Homework Statement
A uniform rod of mass M and length L lies on the x-axis, with its ends at x = 0 and x = L. A varying force of magnitude F is pulling the rod in the right direction, such that the rod is moving with constant velocity. The floor beneath the rod is rough only in the region from x = 0 to x = L, with the coefficient of friction between the rod and floor being 'kx', where k is a constant and x is the x-coordinate of the point. Find the magnitude of the work done by the frictional force in moving the entire rod out of the rough region.

The attempt at a solution
Here's what I came up with:
I take a length 'dx' of the rod at a distance 'x' from the origin. Its mass is (M/L)dx, force on it [(M/L)dx * gkx], and work done by friction on it [(M/L)dx * gkx * (L-x)]. I integrate x from 0 to L to get [itex] \frac{kMgL^{2}}{6} [/itex].

A person who gave me the question has this solution:
At an instant, let the left end of the rod have an x-coordinate "y". Consider a part of the rod with coordinate "x" of length dx. Force on it:[itex] \int \frac{Mgkx(dx)}{L} [/itex] from "y" to "L". Then dW = (That integral) * dy, and he then integrates from 0 to L to get [itex] \frac{kMgL^{2}}{3} [/itex].

I think his solution is wrong because he's assumed a constant force to be displacing the entire rod by "dy" to get "dW", which won't make sense because different forces are acting on each part of the rod. I'm not fully confident about my own solution either, so it'd be helpful if someone could clarify.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ak94 said:
The attempt at a solution
Here's what I came up with:
I take a length 'dx' of the rod at a distance 'x' from the origin. Its mass is (M/L)dx, force on it [(M/L)dx * gkx], and work done by friction on it [(M/L)dx * gkx * (L-x)].

The work you got is wrong. The force changes while a tiny piece of the rod moves from x to L. You can not use the same "dx" for the length of a piece and for the displacement of the same piece.
You have a piece of length δl situated at x=l initially. The work δW done by friction when the piece moves from x=l to x=L is
[tex]δ W= \int _l^L{(kMg\delta l/L) xdx}=(kMg\delta l/L)\frac{L^2-l^2}{2}[/tex]

The total work is obtained by integrating for all pieces from l=0 to L.
[tex]W=(kMg/L)\int _0^L{\frac{L^2-l^2}{2}dl}[/tex]

ehild

Great, thanks a lot, I knew I was going wrong somewhere.

1. What is the meaning of "dynamics problem" in this context?

"Dynamics" refers to the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and its causes. In this context, a "dynamics problem" involves analyzing the movement of a rod on a rough surface and determining the forces that affect its motion.

2. What factors affect the motion of a rod on a rough surface?

The motion of a rod on a rough surface can be affected by several factors, including the mass and length of the rod, the coefficient of friction between the rod and the surface, the angle at which the rod is placed, and the presence of external forces such as gravity.

3. How is the coefficient of friction calculated for a rod on a rough surface?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force, which is the force perpendicular to the surface that is exerted on the rod.

4. How does the angle of the rod affect its motion on a rough surface?

The angle of the rod can affect its motion on a rough surface by changing the normal force exerted on the rod, which in turn affects the coefficient of friction. A steeper angle may result in a higher normal force and a larger coefficient of friction, making it more difficult for the rod to move.

5. What is the role of external forces in a dynamics problem involving a rod on a rough surface?

External forces, such as gravity or a push or pull, can significantly impact the motion of a rod on a rough surface. These forces can cause the rod to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction, leading to a more complex dynamics problem that requires careful analysis and calculation.