E and M waveguide theory spec. co-axial

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for references on deriving the mode structure of coaxial waveguides. The individual has already consulted books by Griffiths and Landau and Lifgarbagez, but was not satisfied. They are now looking for an engineering text that can help them understand naming conventions and approaches for analyzing modes. Suggestions for books include Ragan's "Microwave Transmission Circuits," Marcuvitz's "Waveguide Handbook," and Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics." The latter is recommended for its discussion of waveguides and field distribution plots for circular waveguides.
josh_einsle
Hi all-

just looking for a few good references deriving the mode structure of coaxial waveguides. I have read through griffiths a few times but was not really happy. further consulted an edition of landau and lifgarbagez, but again came away dissatisfied. While I realize and understand what each text is doing, I need something that can he me understand naming conventions for different modes and approaches for analysing modes once identified. possibly actually need like and engineering text of some kind.

cheers

j

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out these Rad Lab books:
Ragan, Microwave Transmission Circuits
Marcuvitz, Waveguide Handbook

I'd also add Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics." I just flipped through and he does not specifically discuss the coaxial cable like I thought he did, but he does discuss a large variety of waveguides (cylindrical included) and that will also give you a good background of the physics and conventions of the devices. Plus he also has some nice field distribution plots for the various modes of a circular waveguide that may prove to be elucidating.

thanks for that I will look those up at the library and see if I can find them.

im

I would suggest starting by looking at some specialized textbooks or research articles specifically focused on E and M waveguide theory for coaxial waveguides. These sources may provide more in-depth explanations and derivations of mode structures, as well as details on naming conventions and analytical approaches. Some potential resources to consider could be "Microwave Engineering" by David M. Pozar, "Electromagnetic Waves in Chiral and Bi-Isotropic Media" by Tom G. Mackay and Akhlesh Lakhtakia, or "Electromagnetic Theory for Microwaves and Optoelectronics" by Keqian Zhang and Dejie Li. Additionally, you may want to consult with experts in the field or attend conferences or workshops focused on E and M waveguide theory. Overall, it may take some additional research and exploration to find the best resources for your specific needs, but I am confident that with perseverance, you will find the information you are seeking. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is an E and M waveguide?

An E and M waveguide is a type of transmission line that is used to guide and transmit electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves or microwaves. It consists of a hollow metal tube or structure that is designed to carry and control the propagation of these waves.

2. What is the purpose of using a waveguide in E and M theory?

The main purpose of using a waveguide in E and M theory is to confine and guide the propagation of electromagnetic waves to a specific path, while minimizing losses and interference. This is especially useful in applications where the transmission of high frequency signals is necessary, such as in radar systems or satellite communications.

3. What is the difference between a co-axial and a waveguide?

A co-axial cable is a type of transmission line that consists of a central conductor surrounded by an insulating layer and an outer conductor. It is used for low frequency signals, while a waveguide is used for higher frequency signals. Unlike a co-axial cable, a waveguide does not have a central conductor and instead relies on the shape and size of the metal structure to guide the electromagnetic waves.

4. How does a co-axial cable work in E and M theory?

In E and M theory, a co-axial cable is used as a transmission line to carry and guide electromagnetic waves from one point to another. The inner conductor carries the signal while the outer conductor acts as a shield, reducing interference and signal loss. The insulating layer between the two conductors helps to maintain the integrity of the signal as it travels through the cable.

5. What are the different types of waveguides used in E and M theory?

There are several types of waveguides used in E and M theory, including rectangular, circular, and elliptical waveguides. Rectangular waveguides are the most common and have a rectangular cross-section, while circular and elliptical waveguides have circular and elliptical cross-sections respectively. The choice of waveguide type depends on the specific application and frequency range of the electromagnetic waves being transmitted.