1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E and M waveguide theory spec. co-axial

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    Hi all-

just looking for a few good references deriving the mode structure of coaxial waveguides. I have read through griffiths a few times but was not really happy. further consulted an edition of landau and lifgarbagez, but again came away dissatisfied. While I realise and understand what each text is doing, I need something that can he me understand naming conventions for different modes and approaches for analysing modes once identified. possibly actually need like and engineering text of some kind.

cheers

j

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Check out these Rad Lab books:
    Ragan, Microwave Transmission Circuits
    Marcuvitz, Waveguide Handbook

4. Dec 5, 2011 #3

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd also add Balanis' "Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics." I just flipped through and he does not specifically discuss the coaxial cable like I thought he did, but he does discuss a large variety of waveguides (cylindrical included) and that will also give you a good background of the physics and conventions of the devices. Plus he also has some nice field distribution plots for the various modes of a circular waveguide that may prove to be elucidating.

5. Dec 5, 2011 #4
    thanks for that I will look those up at the library and see if I can find them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook