E' vs. E_2 Neutron Scattering and Logarithmic Energy Loss

In summary, the professor was arguing that the two formulas are the same, but the student disagreed. There are some differences between the two equations, but the student argues that they are still equivalent.
PlasMav
Hello,

I just had a little debate with my professor after taking my final exam. He had given us an additional formula sheet at the last second (hand written on the projector) which confused me.

The question was a 7 MeV neutron collides with several U-238 atoms before reaching 2 MeV. How many collisions did it take to get there and what was the average loss.

So one of the equations he gave us was:

n = ln(E/E')/zeta

This equation confused me enough to screw up most of the problem. Afterward I looked it up and the correct equation is:

n = ln(E_1/E_2)/zeta

Which makes more sense to me but he argued they are the same thing. I am familiar with E' being elastic scattering with needs angles to solve (based on the formula sheet given to us) which is what messed me up.

Does my argument have a foundation?

Engineering news on Phys.org
PlasMav said:
Does my argument have a foundation?

It doesn't look like it to me. It looks like you are just quibbling over notation. The point is that you take the logarithm of the ratio of energies before and after. Whether you call those energies ##E## and ##E'## or ##E_1## and ##E_2## is a matter of notation and has nothing to do with the physics. Which seems to be what your professor was saying.

In our text which is what he references E' is something different: the elastic scattering energy

Reference:

This was mostly the same as our question:
k48c49.png

Question more involving E':
2ry3d51.png

I was using the E' formula for the first one because the formula the professor provided was:

n = ln(E_1/E_2)/zeta

instead of:

n = ln(E/E')/zeta

E_2 is not the same as E' here.

Attachments

• k48c49.png
    k48c49.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 841
  • 2ry3d51.png
    2ry3d51.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 671
PlasMav said:
In our text which is what he references E' is something different: the elastic scattering energy

I was using the E' formula for the first one because the formula the professor provided was:

n = ln(E_1/E_2)/zeta

instead of:

n = ln(E/E')/zeta

E_2 is not the same as E' here.
I suppose it is confusing for one to use E and E' in one case, usually the energy before collision and energy after collision, respectively, for a single collision, then for successive multiple collisions. In the context of the exercise, one can assume that one collision, or successive collisions are all elastic. For one collision, there is a defined relationship between E' and E in terms of the mass of the target nuclei and the scattering angle, and one could determine an average scattering energy by integrating over all angles. See equation (26) in the following link.

See some notes here: http://mragheb.com/NPRE 402 ME 405 Nuclear Power Engineering/Neutron Collision Theory.pdf

E and E' are variables, whereas E1 and E2 are particular values, and one could simply say, solve the problem when E = E1 and E' = E2, to which PeterDonis alluded. See equations (31) and (37) in the above link (and note E' and E'' are duplicated in the text before eq (37)).

It would be useful to work through the derivations and become comfortable with the theory.

Other notes - https://www.ncnr.nist.gov/staff/hammouda/distance_learning/chapter_6.pdf - warning: they use bright yellow highlight.

1. What is the difference between "E' and E_2" in neutron scattering?

"E' and E_2" refer to two different types of energy transfer in neutron scattering experiments. E' is the energy of the scattered neutron, while E_2 is the energy transferred to the target atom during the scattering process.

2. How does logarithmic energy loss affect neutron scattering experiments?

Logarithmic energy loss refers to the decrease in energy of a neutron as it travels through a material due to interactions with atomic nuclei. This loss of energy can affect the accuracy of neutron scattering experiments, as it can lead to a decrease in the energy of the scattered neutron and a decrease in the energy transfer to the target atom.

3. What is the significance of E' and E_2 in neutron scattering?

E' and E_2 are important parameters in neutron scattering experiments as they provide information about the energy transfer and interactions between neutrons and target atoms. This data can be used to study the structure and properties of materials, such as determining the location of atoms within a crystal lattice or measuring magnetic moments.

4. How are E' and E_2 related to each other in neutron scattering?

E' and E_2 are related by the conservation of energy and momentum. The energy transfer, E_2, is equal to the difference between the initial energy of the neutron, E, and the final energy of the scattered neutron, E'. Therefore, E_2 = E - E'.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of E' and E_2 measurements in neutron scattering experiments?

The accuracy of E' and E_2 measurements can be affected by various factors, such as the energy resolution of the neutron scattering instrument, the scattering angle, and the properties of the target material. Beam contamination and multiple scattering events can also contribute to measurement errors.