E(X) and Var(X) for Normal Dist.

• Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Normal
In summary: I think the substitutions were the key, and then integrating with respect to that new variable."By parts" is a nice way to remember the procedure, but it's really just the product rule for differentiation in disguise. :)Aha!So did you end up with\int x e^{-x^2} dx = -\frac{1}{2} e^{-x^2} + C ?If you did, you must have been using a substitution that was more complicated than the one I suggested. That substitution is of course fine, but it is a little bit more complicated than the one I suggested.Anyway, congratulations on getting the answer! :clap2:In summary, the task was to find the
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

Let X be normally distributed with the paremeters 0 and σ2. Find:
a. E(X2)
b. E(aX2+b)

Homework Equations

E(X) = [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! xf(x) \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

E(X2) = [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! x^2f(x) \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

E(aX+b) = [itex] aE(X)+b [/itex]

The normal distribution with paremeters 0 and σ2 = [itex]( \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }}) e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. [itex] E(X^2)= \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! x^2e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

I don't knowhow to solve this integral. I think there might some tricks involved using the fact that this is a distribution function.

b. I just need to find E(X) which I start by setting up: [itex] E(X)= \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! xe^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

I don't know how to solve this integral either.

I also don't know how to solve the simpler integral [itex] \int e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Try integration by parts with
[tex]u = x,\, dv = xe^{-\frac {x^2}{2\sigma^2}}[/tex]
Then you should be able to use the fact that the first moment is 0 and the fact that the normal distribution function is a distribution function.

Hi Arcana! :smile:

The integral [itex]\int_{-\infty}^x e^{-t^2}dt[/itex] is proven to be unsolvable (with standard functions).

That's why they introduced a new function to deal with this (the cdf of the standard normal distribution):
[tex]\Phi(x) = {1 \over \sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^x e^{-t^2 \over 2}dt[/tex]

[itex]\Phi[/itex] has the property that [itex]\Phi(+\infty) = 1[/itex], but to find any regular function value it needs to be approximated numerically.

The trick for your problem is to use partial integration (as LCKurtz suggested).
Either you can solve directly, or you can reduce your formula to something like [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-t^2 \over 2}dt[/itex] and use that it is [itex]\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex].

ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement

Let X be normally distributed with the paremeters 0 and σ2. Find:
a. E(X2)
b. E(aX2+b)

Homework Equations

E(X) = [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! xf(x) \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

E(X2) = [itex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! x^2f(x) \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

E(aX+b) = [itex] aE(X)+b [/itex]

The normal distribution with paremeters 0 and σ2 = [itex]( \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }}) e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. [itex] E(X^2)= \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! x^2e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

I don't knowhow to solve this integral. I think there might some tricks involved using the fact that this is a distribution function.

b. I just need to find E(X) which I start by setting up: [itex] E(X)= \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! xe^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

I don't know how to solve this integral either.

I also don't know how to solve the simpler integral [itex] \int e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/itex]

Don't you mean [itex] E(a X^2 + b) = a E(X^2) + b[/itex]? I am surprised that you have not seen the standard result that [itex] \mbox{Var}(X) = E(X^2) - (EX)^2[/itex], which is true for _any_ random variable having finite mean and variance. It ought to be in your textbook or course notes.

RGV

I don't remember why I thought finding E(X) was going to help. As for E(X2), here is my attempt. And I'm sure I'm breaking tons of rules here.

[tex] E(X^2) = \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! x^2e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/tex]
[tex] u=x^2 [/tex] [tex] \mathrm{d} u=2x \mathrm{d} v [/tex] [tex] v= \sqrt{2\pi } [/tex] [tex] dv= e^{-\frac {x^2}{2\sigma^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! x^2e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x = [/tex]
[tex]
\frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }}( x^2 \sqrt{2\pi } ^{-\infty }_{\infty } - \sqrt{2\pi } \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! 2x \mathrm{d} x ) [/tex]

Am I messing it up? I don't think I'm on the right track.

Last edited:
For [itex]E[X^2][/itex], do integration by parts by putting

[itex]u=x,~v=xe^{\frac{-x^2}{2\sigma^2}}[/itex]

Let's see.
We want to apply partial integration, which is:
[tex]\int u dv = u v - \int v du[/tex]

I hope you don't mind that I point out a few rules that you are breaking. :shy:
Perhaps we can fix that.

ArcanaNoir said:
I don't remember why I thought finding E(X) was going to help. As for E(X2), here is my attempt. And I'm sure I'm breaking tons of rules here.

[tex] E(X^2) = \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! x^2e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/tex]

[tex] u=x^2 [/tex][tex] \mathrm{d} u=2x \mathrm{d} v [/tex]

With your choice for u this should be: [itex] \mathrm{d} u=2x \mathrm{d} x[/itex]

ArcanaNoir said:
[tex] v= \sqrt{2\pi } [/tex]

With this choice for v, we would get: [itex]dv = 0[/itex].
That can't be right. :confused:

ArcanaNoir said:
[tex] dv= e^{-\frac {x^2}{2\sigma^2}} \mathrm{d} x [/tex]

With this choice for dv, I don't see how you can figure out v, since this expression does not have an anti-derivative (expressed in standard functions).

ArcanaNoir said:
[tex] \frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! x^2e^{ \frac{-x^2}{2 \sigma ^2}} \mathrm{d} x = [/tex]
[tex]
\frac{1}{ \sigma \sqrt{2 \pi }}( x^2 \sqrt{2\pi } ^{-\infty }_{\infty } - \sqrt{2\pi } \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! 2x \mathrm{d} x ) [/tex]

There should be a vertical line in there, and the limits should be switched around.
But let's take care of that when the rest is in order.

ArcanaNoir said:
Am I messing it up? I don't think I'm on the right track.

Only a little bit.
It needs to be tweaked a bit to get on the right track.

I recommend using:
[tex]u = x[/tex][tex]dv = x e^{-\frac {x^2}{2\sigma^2}} \mathrm{d} x[/tex]

Of course this means that you have to integrate dv to find v...

Hooray! The problem is solved! Thanks team :)

I can't speak for the others in this thread, but I am curious to see what you did.

it mostly went down in chat, lots of integrating with substitutions and by parts.

What is E(X) for a Normal Distribution?

E(X) is the expected value or mean of a normal distribution. It represents the average value of the random variable X.

How is E(X) calculated for a Normal Distribution?

E(X) is calculated by multiplying the value of X with its corresponding probability in the distribution and then summing up all the products. In other words, it is the sum of the products of each possible outcome multiplied by its probability.

What is Var(X) for a Normal Distribution?

Var(X) is the variance of a normal distribution. It measures the spread or variability of the data points from the mean.

How is Var(X) calculated for a Normal Distribution?

Var(X) is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, and then dividing it by the total number of data points.

What is the relationship between E(X) and Var(X) for a Normal Distribution?

E(X) and Var(X) are both measures of central tendency and variability, respectively, for a normal distribution. They are related in that the variance is equal to the square of the standard deviation, which is the square root of the variance.