Could We Really Colonize Earth 2?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of colonizing a planet that is 50 light years away and has Earth-like qualities. It also mentions the existence of materials and propulsion systems that are stronger and more efficient than current ones. The conversation then goes on to discuss the logistics of sending humans to this planet, including the number of people to send, the necessary components of the spaceship, and the potential risks involved. Different opinions are shared, including the suggestion to send undesirable individuals and the idea of using suspended animation. The conversation also touches on the challenges of long-distance space travel and the need for advanced shielding technology.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Imagine we have found a planet that is as far as we can tell Earth like, it is relatively close to us ,say 50 light years away.
Imagine we have materials 50% stronger than any we have now
Imagine we have a propulsion system 50% more powerful/efficient than any we have now

If we sent humans to colonize this planet.

How many would you send.

What would your spaceship consist of.

Would you go on it, knowing there is a possibility the planet may in some way be hostile to human life.

Of course it will be your offspring you would have to risk.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I'd send everyone I don't like and leave Earth for those that I do like.

I'd take everyone I do like, and leave Earth for those that I don't like.

Cyrus said:
I'd send everyone I don't like and leave Earth for those that I do like.

Earth would be a lonely place =(

wolram said:
How many would you send.
Hopefully at least 10,000 to maintain genetic diversity.
wolram said:
What would your spaceship consist of.
It would require 100% efficient recycling, nuclear power (+enough fuel to power it for the hundreds of years it will take to get there), state of the art hydroponics with 0 run-off, and air recycling (perhaps if the hydroponics system was large enough, this could be accomplished by plants, otherwise would need some other form of CO2 -> O2 conversion, with the carbon being returned to the hydroponics system). We'd also need some exercise equipment to keep our muscles from atrophying. Oh yeah, and we would need better radiation shields as well, or an empty ship will be all that would get there.
Edit: And radios, to maintain contact with Earth for as long as possible.
wolram said:
Would you go on it, knowing there is a possibility the planet may in some way be hostile to human life.
In a heartbeat.
wolram said:
Of course it will be your offspring you would have to risk.
I would take him too.

Id send bombs. I don't want no pushy Earth clone.

You've landed. Enjoy!

800px-AntarcticaDomeCSnow.jpg

I guess the planet could be barren, how good are we at determining if a planet has water?

wolram said:
I guess the planet could be barren, how good are we at determining if a planet has water?

Or at least the hydrogen and oxygen (and other elements for life) in some extractable form, which could be used to create an indoor ecosystem, and then gradually grow it larger.

I'd send Abi Titmuss and 10 Footballers to collonise the planet, then put myself in suspended animation for 10,000 years, then pop back to see how things turned out

wolram said:
Imagine we have found a planet that is as far as we can tell Earth like, it is relatively close to us ,say 50 light years away.
Imagine we have materials 50% stronger than any we have now
Imagine we have a propulsion system 50% more powerful/efficient than any we have now

If we sent humans to colonize this planet.

How many would you send.
With those engineering constraints, I wouldn't send anyone since they'd all be dead eons before the ship got there. It wouldn't' even work as an attempt to propagate the species unless you could have an enormous number of people since inbreeding destroys the gene pool.

russ_watters said:
With those engineering constraints, I wouldn't send anyone since they'd all be dead eons before the ship got there. It wouldn't' even work as an attempt to propagate the species unless you could have an enormous number of people since inbreeding destroys the gene pool.

While you have a point, do you not think that given the number of ifs in the OP one might forgo these additional constraints for fear of pointing out the bleeding obvious.

In which case my Abi Titmuss suggestion is wholly sensible

neu said:
I'd send Abi Titmuss and 10 Footballers to collonise the planet, then put myself in suspended animation for 10,000 years, then pop back to see how things turned out

Nuff said.

russ_watters said:

So russ we agree, even the relatively short 50 light year trip is beyond reason in the near future.

Something to consider:

Can we speculate a constant acceleration of 1g if we assume a Bussard ramjet drive?

Say we arrive there and immediately send a scout back to Earth to let them know what's up. How much time has passed on Earth?

DaveC426913 said:
Something to consider:

Can we speculate a constant acceleration of 1g if we assume a Bussard ramjet drive?

Say we arrive there and immediately send a scout back to Earth to let them know what's up. How much time has passed on Earth?

From the Baez rocket site.

One major problem you would have to solve is the need for shielding. As you approach the speed of light you will be heading into an increasingly energetic and intense bombardment of cosmic rays and other particles. After only a few years of 1g acceleration even the cosmic background radiation is Doppler shifted into a lethal heat bath hot enough to melt all known materials.

DaveC426913 said:
Certainly not. They need to be accelerated conventionally for quite a while before you can even start them and even then wouldn't provide anywhere near that kind of acceleration unless they were already going extremely fast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bussard_ramjet

[edit] Well - since this is GD, I guess we can speculate whatever we want, but it is up to the OP whether this was supposed to be a realistic question.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
It wouldn't' even work as an attempt to propagate the species unless you could have an enormous number of people since inbreeding destroys the gene pool.
At least in that case we can tell what the landing vehicle will look like:

beverlyhillbillies.jpg

russ_watters said:
[edit] Well - since this is GD, I guess we can speculate whatever we want, but it is up to the OP whether this was supposed to be a realistic question.

Well as serious as the limit to plausibility.

1. Will we ever find another planet like Earth?

As of now, scientists have discovered thousands of exoplanets that have similarities to Earth, such as being within a habitable zone and having similar size and composition. However, the chances of finding an exact replica of Earth are very slim due to the uniqueness of our planet's conditions and history.

2. How close are we to finding a "second Earth"?

Currently, scientists are continuously searching for exoplanets and improving their technology to better detect and study these distant worlds. While we have not yet found an Earth 2, there have been promising discoveries such as the TRAPPIST-1 system, which has several potentially habitable planets.

3. What are the requirements for a planet to be considered an "Earth 2"?

A potential Earth 2 would need to have similar conditions to our planet, such as having liquid water on its surface, a stable atmosphere, and a similar distance from its star to support life. It would also need to have a similar size, composition, and geological activity.

4. How will finding an Earth 2 impact our understanding of life in the universe?

Finding an Earth-like planet would greatly impact our understanding of life in the universe. It would provide evidence that Earth-like conditions are not unique and increase the chances of finding other habitable worlds. It could also help us learn more about the conditions necessary for life to thrive.

5. What are the potential challenges in finding an Earth 2?

One of the biggest challenges in finding an Earth 2 is the vastness of space and limitations in our current technology. The distances between Earth and potential Earth-like exoplanets are immense, making it difficult to gather detailed information about these distant worlds. Additionally, our understanding of habitability is limited, so it is possible that a planet may have all the necessary conditions for life but still remain undetected by our current methods.