Earth & moon rotate round center of mass

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem but was not successful because he did not use the correct methods. He used the 3 Keppler laws for elliptical motion to calculate the revolution time of the moon around the distance to the center of mass, but the result was 2 hours different than the 4 hours he was supposed to find. He also used the reduced mass of the Earth and the moon to simplify the problem.
Karol
1. Homework Statement
Calculate the time the moon rotates once around the earth, and show that you have to add 4 hours to that since the moon & the Earth rotate around their center of mass. hint: use the reduced mass: [tex]\overline{m}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/tex]
mass of moon: m=0.0734E24[kg]
mass of earth: 81 times mass of moon: M=81m
radius of earth: Re=6.37E6[m]
distance centers earth-moon: 60Re
gravity constant: G=6.673E-11

Homework Equations

(1) F=[tex]\frac{GMm}{r^{2}}[/tex]
(2) F=[tex]\frac{mV^{2}}{r}[/tex] (3) V=[tex]\frac{2r\pi}{T}[/tex]
xc.m.=[tex]\frac{m_{1}x_{1}+m_{2}x_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/tex]
maybe: the momentum in the center of mass coordinate system: (4)[tex]\vec{p_{1}}[/tex]=m1[tex]\vec{V_{1}}[/tex]=[tex]\overline{m}[/tex][tex]\vec{V_{12}}[/tex], while V12 is the relative velocity between them, and [tex]\overline{m}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/tex] is the reduced mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

the revolution time when the Earth is "stuck" in place and the moon rotates only: using equations: (1)=(2), (3): [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\frac{mV^{2}}{60R^{e}}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{81Gm^{2}}{(60R_{e})^{2}}[/tex] [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] T=2,357,028[sec]=27.28[days], and the relative velocity is: V12=1018.8[m/sec].
the distance of the center of their mass from center of earth: xc.m.=[tex]\frac{60R_{e}m}{82m}[/tex]=4,660,976[m]
now, in the coordinate system of the moving center of gravity, i find the moon's tangential velocity, knowing that the relative velocity V12 is the same in all coordinate systems: according to equation (4) above: V1=[tex]\frac{\overline{m}V_{12}}{m_{1}}[/tex]=1006.3[m/sec]
now, the revolution time of the moon round the distance to center of mass (3): [tex]\frac{2\pi(60R_{e}-x_{c.m.})}{1006.3}[/tex]=2,357,187[sec]

this is only 159[sec] more, not 4 hours!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered using Kepler's law for a rotating binary system?

[itex] \Omega^2 = \frac{4\pi^2}{P^2} = \frac{G(m_1+m_2)}{R^3 }[/itex]

(P is the period of time it takes for the binary to orbit one another)

We know that: [itex] m_1r_1=m_2r_2 [/itex], so R is defined as [itex] r_1+r_2 [/itex]. r1 and r2 are the radii from the centre of mass of the two objects to the objects themselves.

I'm not sure it'll work if they asked you to use the reduced mass, but it might work - it's how i'd go about trying to solve it anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks, Faloren, but I only know the 3 Keppler laws for eliptical motion, not this one.
and also this gives a better result: 2 hours difference, but not 4.

did you use reduced mass AND non-infinite Earth mass? I think one makes the other unnecessary.

What is non-infinite mass? give me a clue, but i should use the reduced mass of both, the Earth & moon as given by the formula.

in the first calculation you treated the Earth as being stationary. you treated it as though it had infinite inertial mass. (but not infinite gravitational mass)

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure that when you use the reduced mass for the moon you still treat the Earth as though it had infinite inertial mass. that's why its so much easier to use.

Last edited:
I am not that expert either, and i don't expect you to explain to me what are infinite inertial mass & not infinite gravitational mass, but the formula:
[itex]\overline{m}=\frac{m_{1}m_{2}}{m_{1}+m_{2}}[/itex]
makes use of them both.
I think this is not the direction, but using the moving center of mass coordinate system, in which this formula applies to.

by infinite inertial mass I just mean that you treat it as though it were stationary

By infinite mass, that's not entirely true - it's more like you treat the smaller object as having negligible mass, right?

The idea being that if you're working out, say the orbit of the Earth about the Sun, you don't need to know the mass of the Earth because the sun's mass will dwarf it (i.e. as you say, it won't affect the orbit of the sun - the sun is for all intents and purposes stationary - although on an interesting note this is how astronomers detect exo-planets these days, by measuring stars wobbling).

Oh, and inertial mass = gravitational mass, this was one of Einstein's assumptions when developing general relativity i believe - no experiment has yet found a difference between the two.

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point in a system where the mass is evenly distributed and the weight of the object is perfectly balanced. In the case of the Earth and moon, the center of mass is the point around which both bodies rotate.

2. Why do the Earth and moon rotate around their center of mass?

The Earth and moon rotate around their center of mass because of the force of gravity between them. The larger object (Earth) exerts a greater force, causing the smaller object (moon) to orbit around it. The center of mass is the point where the gravitational forces between the two bodies are equal and opposite, allowing for a stable orbit.

3. How is the center of mass determined for the Earth and moon system?

The center of mass for the Earth and moon system is determined by calculating the average distance between the two bodies and then finding the point along that line where the masses of the two bodies are evenly distributed. This point is the center of mass.

4. Does the center of mass of the Earth and moon system ever change?

Yes, the center of mass of the Earth and moon system is constantly changing due to the changing positions of the two bodies. However, it remains relatively close to the center of the Earth, as the Earth's mass is significantly larger than the moon's.

5. How does the rotation around the center of mass affect the Earth and moon?

The rotation around the center of mass allows the Earth and moon to maintain a stable orbit around each other. This also causes the tides on Earth as the moon's gravity pulls on the Earth's oceans. Additionally, the rotation around the center of mass affects the length of a day on Earth, as the moon's gravitational pull slightly slows down the Earth's rotation over time.