1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy Differential Equation Calc 1

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is y = x^2 a solution to the DE [tex]y'' - 4xy' + 4y = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So:
    [tex]y = x^2[/tex]
    [tex]y' = 2x[/tex]
    [tex]y'' = 2[/tex]

[tex] 2 - 4x(2x) + 4x^2 = 0[/tex]
    [tex] 2 - 8x^2 + 4x^2 = 0[/tex]
    [tex] 2 - 4x^2 = 0[/tex]

But doing this I won't get an answer of whether it is a solution or not. I get a variable equal to a number. So what can I do differently? How do I solve this? Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Which means that this must be true for all x.

Suppose you were asked whether x= 2 is a solution to x3- 3x2[/sup+ 10x+ 4= 0. Putting 2 in place of x gives you 23- 3(22)+ 10(2)+ 4= 8- 12+ 20+ 4= 20, not 0. Since the equation is not true, 2 is NOT a solution to the problem.

Is that true for all x? If yes, then y= x2 is a solution to the differential equation. If not, then it is not a solution!

4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    So for any x, y = x^2 is a solution to that DE? And that is because I got a variable equal to a number? And just for a reference the answer in the back of the book said that it wasn't a solution to that DE.

5. Oct 1, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is [itex]2-4x^2[/itex] zero for all x?!

6. Oct 1, 2008 #5
    Sorry the post I responded to before didn't load fully and I only saw a small part. Which I was equally confused about.

7. Oct 1, 2008 #6
    So let me get this straight. Since [tex]2 - 4x^2 = 0[/tex] is not true for all x then, [tex] y= x^2[/tex] is not a solution to that DE. If however, that equation had been true for all x it would be a solution?

8. Oct 1, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, by plugging in [itex] y=x^2[/itex] to the left side of the DE, you showed that:

[tex]y'' - 4xy' + 4y=2-4x^2 [/tex]

which does not equal the right side of the DE (zero) for all [itex]x[/itex], so [itex] y=x^2[/itex] does not satisfy the DE.

9. Oct 1, 2008 #8
    Furthermore, if they had said [tex]x = \sqrt{1/2}[/tex] a solution to the DE the answer would be yes, since that yields a result of 0 = 0?

10. Oct 1, 2008 #9

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not really, for a solution to satisfy the DE it must satisfy it for all values of [itex]x[/itex].

11. Oct 1, 2008 #10
    with x at that value, and y the same as above, then y would be a solution to that DE

12. Oct 1, 2008 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's true that [itex]2-4x^2=0[/itex] for [itex]x=1/\sqrt{2}[/itex], but [itex]y(1/\sqrt{2})=1/2[/itex] which is a constant, so dy/dx and d^2y/dx^2 are both zero and your left with 4*(1/2)=0 which is false. It is meaningless to say that y(a certain value) satisfies the DE, since y(a certain value) is a value, not a function. Only functions satisfy DE's.

13. Oct 1, 2008 #12
    Forget that y part, I didn't mean to put that. If I said is [tex]y = x^2 [/tex] at [tex]x = 1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] a solution to that DE what would the answer be?

14. Oct 1, 2008 #13

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Still no; [itex]y=x^2[/itex] at [itex]x=1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] is just a value not a function. Functions satisfy DE's, values don't.

15. Oct 1, 2008 #14
    Alright thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?