Solve Easy Limit Problem: \sqrt{5} Neg.

• Thread starter DieCommie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit \lim_{x\rightarrow -\infty\\} \frac{\sqrt{5x^2-2}}{x+3} can be solved by factoring out a negative x in the numerator and then simplifying. This results in the limit being equal to -\sqrt5. L'Hospital's rule is not necessary for this problem.
DieCommie
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -\infty\\} \frac{\sqrt{5x^2-2}}{x+3}[/tex]

When I first looked at it i thought the top will increase to inf. at a rate of [tex]\sqrt5[/tex] and the bottom will increase to inf. at a rate of -1, thus the answer would be [tex]-\sqrt5[/tex]

However when i do the algebra i get this...
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -\infty\\} \frac{\sqrt{5x^2-2}}{x+3}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow -\infty\\} \frac{x\sqrt{5-2/x^2}}{x(1+3/x)}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{\sqrt{5-0}}{1+0}=\sqrt5[/tex] but the answer is negative :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A subtle error to be sure. Because, by convention, the result of the square root operation on real positive numbers is always positive, note that [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = x[/tex] only holds for positive real x. For negative real x, [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = -x[/tex]

In general, for real x, [tex]\sqrt{x^2} = |x|[/tex]. This is simply because of the convention by which the square root is defined.

Can you now see your error ?

The x I factored out on the top, was a negative x?

As pointed out at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LHospitalsRule.html, this is one of those rare cases where L'Hospital's rule fails. The example given there as u goes to infinity is:
[tex]\frac{u}{\sqrt{u^2+1}}[/tex]

where the limit is 1. Well, since u can increase beyond bound, it is hard to see how the limit would be different if the case was: [tex]\frac{u+3}{\sqrt{u^2+15}}[/tex], which suggests a start on the problem. However I see that you have the right idea! but, since a square is positive, we have a negative value in the numerator of the original problem as pointed out by Curious 341.

Last edited:
DieCommie said:
The x I factored out on the top, was a negative x?

Yes, it should be replaced by [itex]-x[/itex].

Thx for the help

I don't know what L'Hospital's rule is, I may learn that though

DieCommie said:
Thx for the help

I don't know what L'Hospital's rule is, I may learn that though

It's not relevant to this question, but basically it enables you to sort out limits of quotients of functions that look indeterminate from mere inspection. The limit you posted is of a quotient, but it's pretty trivial to solve with mere inspection after a little algebra.

Certain conditions have to be met by the functions before LH rule can be invoked, and LH rule doesn't always help. It never really *fails* (as in gives a wrong answer) though, as long as the conditions are met.

Read more about it here.

What is the value of the limit limx->0 √5-x?

The limit is equal to 1.

How do I solve a limit problem involving a square root?

To solve a limit problem involving a square root, you can try simplifying the expression by rationalizing the denominator or using algebraic manipulations. If that does not work, you can use L'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem.

What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input variable approaches a specific value or approaches infinity.

Can I use a calculator to solve limit problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate limits, but it is important to understand the concepts and methods used to solve them by hand.

Are there any special rules for solving limits involving negative exponents?

Yes, when dealing with negative exponents, you can rewrite the expression as a positive exponent by taking the reciprocal of the base. For example, √5-x can be rewritten as 1/√5x.