1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(Easy) Question about how to sound more "mathematically"

1. Jun 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am writing a mathematics paper and I would like to know how do you mathematically say "put on the other side" of the integral, I have a constant in the integral and I want to say that I'm putting it on the other side.

I attached a picture where I show with a arrow the constant "v" that i want to put on the other side. Is there a maths term for saying that, or how to sound more mathematically?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• sds.png
      sds.png
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

I guess it depends on who your reader is. But something like '...and noting that ##v \neq v(t)##, me may rewrite the above like..'

But, depending on the context, the fact v is a constant may already be manifest in what you are trying to convey. So you could just write ##\int v \text{d}t = v\int \text{d}t## if the case or to an audience who could work it out themselves.

4. Jun 17, 2014 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you want to explain what you are doing in words, then " v is a constant so it can be taken outside of the integration " would be the best I can suggest (non- native english-speaking).
    Perhaps " v does not depend on t, so: " would also qualify.

5. Jun 17, 2014 #4
    You are moving ##v## outside the integral.

6. Jun 17, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

As a native (American) English-speaker I would say "...outside of the integral". Otherwise, what you suggest is fine!

7. Jun 17, 2014 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have always thought that "move to the other side of the equation" should be abolished. What you actually do depends on how the variable or number affects the equation. If "x" is added to the rest of one side then you can subtract "x" from both sides of the equation. If "x" is multiplied by the rest of the side, you can divide "x" on both sides of the equation.

8. Jun 17, 2014 #7
    Are you absolutely sure that ##V## does not vary with ##t##?

9. Jun 17, 2014 #8
    So in this case, what would I do? :)

10. Jun 17, 2014 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Follow jtbell and forgive him for thinking American is English is English :smile:

[edit] oops: him/her

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted