1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Easy tangent line problem but I don't know how to approach it

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    Let f be the funtion given by f(x) = 4x^2 - x^3 , let L be the line y = 18 - 3x, where L is tangent to the graph of f.

Show that L is the tangent to the graph of y= f(x) at the point x = 3.

I'm equaling both graphs like this:

4x^2 - x^3 = 18 - 3x

and then I isolate everything to the right:

0 = x^3 - 4x^2 - 3x + 18

But I don't know how to factor this...am I in the right track to prove that this line is tangent to the function?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since you KNOW L is a tangent line, it's a bit easier to equate the derivatives. That just gives you a quadratic equation. Once you do that you still have to check f(x)=y for the two solutions. On the other hand you can factor that expression if you work at it. Review factoring. The only possible factors are (x-a) where a is a divisor of 18. And if (x-a) is a factor then substituting a into the polynomial gives you zero. Once you have a factor divide it out to reduce the degree. And don't forget to check y'=f'(x) for each root. Otherwise it's only a crossing point, not a tangent.

Hint: (x-3) is a factor.

4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    Ok Dick so I did synthetic division and I got:

x^2 - x - 6 (x - 3)

(x + 2) (x - 3) (x - 3)

x = -2 x=3 -----> so this proves that the line L is tangent to f(x) at x = 3?

I know somewhere I have to use derivatives to prove it, but I don't know how :(

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  5. Sep 9, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That doesn't prove they are tangent. It proves the line intersects the curve at x=3. To show they are tangent you also need to show they have the same slope. Show that their derivatives are also equal at x=3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?