How Many Edges Are in an 11D Hypercube?

• Thread starter maze
  • Start date
In summary, there are 11264 edges (1 dimensional facets) in an 11 dimensional hypercube. This can be calculated by using the recurrence relations P(N) = 2^N, E(N) = 2*E(N-1) + 2^(N-1), F(N) = 2*F(N-1) + E(N-1), and S(N) = 2*S(N-1) + F(N-1). These relations demonstrate that when adding a dimension, the number of elements is doubled and new elements are added by stretching existing ones.
maze
How many edges (1 dimensional facets) are there in a 11 dimensional hypercube?

Here is a diagram for 1, 2, and 3 dimensions:
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3056/hypercubefacets2ye6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
maze said:
How many edges (1 dimensional facets) are there in a 11 dimensional hypercube?

I would imagine there ought to be 11264 edges. In thinking about it, for a given dimension N there's:

P(N) = # of points = 2^N
E(N) = # of edges = 2*E(N-1) + 2^(N-1)
F(N) = # of faces = 2*F(N-1) + E(N-1)

Which would mean the next step (the one I can't mentally imagine) would be:

S(N) = # of solids = 2*S(N-1) + F(N-1)

And so forth.

DaveE

The number is correct (nice), so I assume your stuff is right. I'm not sure I understand where those recurrence relations come from though. Perhaps you could explain more, as I'm interested to know. I solved it in a completely different way, with formula below in the spoiler.

let n be the dimension of the cube and s the dimension of the facet, then the number of facets is
(n choose n-s) 2^(n-s)

Last edited:
maze said:
The number is correct (nice), so I assume your stuff is right. I'm not sure I understand where those recurrence relations come from though. Perhaps you could explain more, as I'm interested to know.

I solved it just by thinking about how each element is generated. It could probably use some simplification, since it's obviously reducible to some degree (as your formula demonstrates).

Anyway, the idea I had was basically that when you add a dimension you start by doubling whatever it was you already had. So if you're going from 2 dimensions to 3 dimensions, you're taking the square you already had and making another one, which will be connected to the first. So start by doubling.

But that's not all, obviously. You're also adding new elements by stretching existing elements. Each point stretches into a line, each line into a face, and each face into a solid, etc. So look at how many elements you had previously, and that's how many elements of 1D higher that you'll be adding to the next iteration.

DaveE

FAQ: How Many Edges Are in an 11D Hypercube?

1. What is a hypercube?

A hypercube is a geometric shape in higher dimensions, analogous to a cube in three dimensions. It is also known as a tesseract and has 8 vertices, 24 edges, 32 faces, and 16 cells in 4 dimensions.

2. How many edges does an 11D hypercube have?

An 11D hypercube has 2048 edges. This can be calculated by multiplying the number of edges in a 4D hypercube (16) by the number of additional dimensions (7), resulting in 16 x 2^7 = 2048 edges.

3. What is the formula for calculating the number of edges in an n-dimensional hypercube?

The formula for calculating the number of edges in an n-dimensional hypercube is 2^n x (n-1). This takes into account the number of edges in a 1D line (2) and the number of additional dimensions (n-1).

4. Can a hypercube exist in our 3D world?

No, a hypercube cannot exist in our 3D world as it requires at least 4 dimensions to be constructed. We can only visualize and represent a hypercube in 3D by projecting it onto a 2D surface or through virtual simulations.

5. What is the significance of the number of edges in an 11D hypercube?

The number of edges in an 11D hypercube is significant in the study of higher dimensions and complex geometric shapes. It also has applications in areas such as physics, computer science, and topology.

Back