Edit to Tangential Accelerationmissing point

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Edit Point
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the ratio of tangential accelerations around two different arcs of a race track at a constant speed of 50 m/s. The options for the ratio are given as a.)1/2, b.)1/4, c.)2, d.)4, or e.)both equal 0. The conversation also mentions using the equation A_t = r * alpha for tangential acceleration, and the possibility of alpha being equal to 0 since there is no change in linear velocity. It is confirmed that in this case, only the tangential component of acceleration is being considered.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

If a car drives around a race track constructed such that two arcs of radius A=80m and Radius B=40m are joined by two stretches of straight track at a constant speed of 50 m/s, what is the ratio of the tangential accelerations A to B...Meaning asking for the ratio of the Tangential Acceleration around arc of radius A (80m) to that of the Tangential Acceleration around arc of radius B (40m). Also it is multiple choice. a.)1/2...b.)1/4...c.)2...d.)4...or e.)both equal 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is much easier than I am making it. I know that A_t=r*alpha...but I do not have alpha and I am a little confused to how to calculate it? Just a hint to get me going?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that if linear acceleration is the change in linear velocity, then there is no change in this instance. Therefore a=0--->alpha 0...is this correct? Because alpha=a/r.

If you are just looking at the tangential component of the total acceleration, then I would say you are right.

Yes. It is just the Tangential component. So that does look right.

1. What is tangential accelerationmissing point?

Tangential accelerationmissing point refers to the change in an object's tangential velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed along its curved path is changing.

2. How is tangential accelerationmissing point different from linear acceleration?

Tangential accelerationmissing point is specific to circular or curved motion, while linear acceleration is specific to straight-line motion. Tangential accelerationmissing point measures the change in an object's speed along its curved path, while linear acceleration measures the change in an object's speed in a straight line.

3. How is tangential accelerationmissing point calculated?

Tangential accelerationmissing point can be calculated using the formula a_t = v^2/r, where a_t is tangential accelerationmissing point, v is tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the object's circular path.

4. What is the relationship between tangential accelerationmissing point and centripetal accelerationmissing point?

Tangential accelerationmissing point and centripetal accelerationmissing point are both components of the total accelerationmissing point of an object in circular motion. Tangential accelerationmissing point is responsible for the change in speed along the circular path, while centripetal accelerationmissing point is responsible for the direction of the object's motion towards the center of the circle.

5. How does tangential accelerationmissing point affect an object's motion?

Tangential accelerationmissing point can cause an object's speed to increase, decrease, or stay constant, depending on the direction and magnitude of the tangential accelerationmissing point. It also plays a role in determining the shape and size of the object's circular path.