1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Edit to Tangential Accelerationmissing point

1. May 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If a car drives around a race track constructed such that two arcs of radius A=80m and Radius B=40m are joined by two stretches of straight track at a constant speed of 50 m/s, what is the ratio of the tangential accelerations A to B....Meaning asking for the ratio of the Tangential Acceleration around arc of radius A (80m) to that of the Tangential Acceleration around arc of radius B (40m). Also it is multiple choice. a.)1/2...b.)1/4...c.)2...d.)4......or e.)both equal 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know this is much easier than I am making it. I know that A_t=r*alpha....but I do not have alpha and I am a little confused to how to calculate it? Just a hint to get me going?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2007 #2
    I know that if linear acceleration is the change in linear velocity, then there is no change in this instance. Therefore a=0--->alpha 0...is this correct? Because alpha=a/r.
  4. May 5, 2007 #3

Homework Helper

If you are just looking at the tangential component of the total acceleration, then I would say you are right.
  5. May 5, 2007 #4
    Yes. It is just the Tangential component. So that does look right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?