Missing the point Tangential acceleration

In summary, the car is driving around a race track constructed such that two arcs of radius A=80m and Radius B=40m are joined by two stretches of straight track at a constant speed of 50 m/s. The ratio of the tangential accelerations A to B is 1/2.
Saladsamurai
EDIT: Tangential acceleration

Homework Statement

If a car drives around a race track constructed such that two arcs of radius A=80m and Radius B=40m are joined by two stretches of straight track at a constant speed of 50 m/s, what is the ratio of the tangential accelerations A to B...Meaning asking for the ratio of the Tangential Acceleration around arc of radius A (80m) to that of the Tangential Acceleration around arc of radius B (40m). Also it is multiple choice. a.)1/2...b.)1/4...c.)2...d.)4...or e.)both equal 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is much easier than I am making it. I know that A_t=r*alpha...but I do not have alpha and I am a little confused to how to calculate it? Just a hint to get me going?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas would help. Or even a question to get my brain going.

18 views ehh... Is this question too easy or something? I know that if linear acceleration is the change in linear velocity, then there is no change in this instance. Therefore a=0--->alpha 0...is this correct? Because alpha=a/r...

what is the meaning of this:

"... what is the ratio of the tangential accelerations A to B ..." ?

that's why you get no answer

I am sorry. In the OP it says two arcs of radius A 80m and B 40m. . . Hence, the problem asking for the ratio of the Tangential Acceleration around arc of radius A (80m) to that of the Tangential Acceleration around arc of radius B (40m). I knew there must have been something about my wording. Does that make it clearer? Also it is multiple choice. 1/2...1/4...2...4...or both equal 0.

Does tangential acceleration depend on radius? Proportional or inversely proportional?

turdferguson said:
Does tangential acceleration depend on radius? Proportional or inversely proportional?
A_t=r*alpha

If the radius od curvature changes, the acceleration perpendicular to the trajectory will change.
But if the kinetic energy is conserved, the speed along the trajectory will not change and therefore, the tangential acceleration will be ...

What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity. It represents how quickly an object's speed is changing as it moves along a curved path.

How is tangential acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is specific to objects moving in a curved path, while linear acceleration is for objects moving in a straight line. Tangential acceleration is also a component of the total acceleration, along with centripetal acceleration.

What causes tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is caused by a change in the direction of an object's motion along a curved path. This change in direction can be caused by a force acting on the object, such as gravity or friction.

How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the tangential acceleration, v is the tangential velocity, and r is the radius of the curved path.

What is the significance of tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is important in understanding the motion of objects, especially those moving in a circular or curved path. It helps us to understand how forces affect an object's movement and how to calculate the necessary forces to keep an object in motion along a curved path.