Editing a video, the rendered video is way too big

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary: If there is a mismatch, then youtube will include a pop-up ad with part of the revenue going to the "3rd party".In summary, if you want to post a video that includes music from youtube, you'll need to remove the sound from the original video and add the MP3 instead. If you have a version of windows before windows movie maker was removed, you can use that (windows movie maker), but you'll need to download windows media encoder (wmencoder.exe) and use one of its utilities, media profile editor, to create high resolution profiles for windows movie maker. For youtube, as long as the vertical resolution is >= 720,
fluidistic
Gold Member
I've got a video in .m2ts whose size is 294.3 Mb. I wanted to remove the sound of it, add a MP3 song instead and then post it in youtube. So I downloaded a video editor (kdenlive, because I use Ubuntu). I did remove the sound of the original video and added the MP3 instead.
When I rendered the video, I had only a few choices. Either keep the video quality or not. I tried both. Without keeping the video quality I get a rendered .mov file of around 64 Mb with a horrible quality and it took 25 minutes to render.
When I keep the quality... I get a .mp4 file of 2.0 Gb! It still took around 25 minutes to render. This means about 7 hours of uploading to youtube, assuming I'm not browing the web at the same time.
Is there any way I can get a rendered video of about 300 Mb, or at least less than 1Gb without altering the video quality? (Supposed to be 1080 quality for youtube).

Computer science news on Phys.org
There are many (free) video converters available. CNET and Snapfiles are both good web sites to get some to try, without fear of viruses. I have never worked with a video that size, so I can only suggest you try a few and see if you can find one that suits your purpose.

Examples of converters I use are Format Factory, Zune Converter, Freemake, Any video converter. All these allow you to adjust both the audio and video bit rates, as well as other editing functions.

Converter (software) and container (file format) are secondary, what matters most for the file size is the selection of a codec. Unfortunately I won't be of much help here as Avidemux that I am using doesn't support m2ts container files.

Thanks guys.
I still have around 1 hour and a half of uploading. I just hope I won't get a message saying that I exceeded youtube's limit... which is apparently 2.0 Gb if "you don't have an up to date browser" according to Wikipedia.
But for the next time it would be ideal if I could create a .m2ts from .m2ts+.mp3 files.
The video length is, by the way, 2:22 minutes.

I use aunsoft video converter and it works great... but I paid for it.

fluidistic said:
I've got a video in .m2ts whose size is 294.3 Mb. I wanted to remove the sound of it, add a MP3 song instead and then post it in youtube.
Which will probably result in your video getting a "matched 3rd party content" notice, which means that youtube will likely include a pop-up ad on your video, with part of the proceeds going to the "3rd party".

If you have a version of windows before windows movie maker was removed you can use that (windows movie maker), but you'll need to download windows media encoder (wmencoder.exe) and use one of its utilities, media profile editor, to create high resolution profiles for windows movie maker. For youtube, as long as the vertical resolution is >= 720, your video willl end up in youtube's hi-def mode.

rcgldr said:
Which will probably result in your video getting a "matched 3rd party content" notice, which means that youtube will likely include a pop-up ad on your video, with part of the proceeds going to the "3rd party".

If you have a version of windows before windows movie maker was removed you can use that (windows movie maker), but you'll need to download windows media encoder (wmencoder.exe) and use one of its utilities, media profile editor, to create high resolution profiles for windows movie maker. For youtube, as long as the vertical resolution is >= 720, your video willl end up in youtube's hi-def mode.
Hmm why would youtube include a pop-up in my video?
The funny thing is that I took a song from youtube and converted it to mp3 via a website that converts youtube videos into mp3's. Here's the video... it was just uploaded a few minutes ago: .

Last edited by a moderator:
fluidistic said:
Hmm why would youtube include a pop-up in my video?
It's one way for them to generate income. They actually have software to scan audio tracks from uploaded videos for a "3rd party match" for a lot of music. Companies such as APM Music, AdShare MG, INgrooves, ... collect audio samples from various actual music companies and reformat snippets of the music into a format used by youtube to search for "3rd party matches". Youtube is hoping to find "3rd party matches", because that allows them to place an ad that will pop up about 5 to 10 seconds into your video. The income from those ads is distributed between youtube, those companies that scan and reformat the audio, and the actual original musical company that actually own the copyrighted music.

fluidistic said:
The funny thing is that I took a song from youtube
If there's no ad for that video, chances are that you probably won't get a 3rd party match, unless the song was recently uploaded.

Last edited:
I see rcgldr. Good to know!

I've downloaded lots of clips from youtube and they were all in .flv format.
How is it you got this strange (.m2ts) format?

Probably directly from camera.

Borek is right.

1. Why is the rendered video file so large?

The rendered video file is large because it contains high-quality video and audio data that takes up a lot of storage space. It may also be due to the settings you chose when exporting the video, such as a high resolution or bit rate.

2. Can I make the video file smaller without losing quality?

Yes, you can compress the video file using a video compression software or by adjusting the settings when exporting the video. However, keep in mind that reducing the file size may also result in a decrease in video quality.

3. Are there any specific settings I should use to reduce the file size?

It depends on your video editing software and the purpose of the video. Generally, using a lower resolution and bit rate can significantly reduce the file size. You can also try using a different video codec or format that is known for smaller file sizes.

4. Will reducing the file size affect the video's playback quality?

It is possible that reducing the file size may result in a lower quality playback, especially if you use a low-quality compression method. It is important to find a balance between file size and video quality that works for your specific needs.

5. How do I know if the video file size is too large for my needs?

This depends on what you plan to do with the video. If you are sharing it online, you may want to reduce the file size to make it easier to upload and download. If you are planning to play it on a large screen or use it for professional purposes, a larger file size may be necessary for better quality.