Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eduardo De Silva

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    For any followers of English football, I think this may interest you. I watched it on the television on Sky Sports and they refused to show any replays of the incident.

Link

I couldn't walk for a few minutes as my legs felt like jelly, it was horrific, wikipedia said that some internet videos of the incident showed his lower leg/ankle barely on his leg...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I saw a picture today and from what I saw I'm not surprised that Sky refused to show any replays: it looked horrific! All, the replays I saw were from a long way out and you couldn't really see anything but a player sliding in to tackle Eduardo.

I'm pleased that Wenger retracted his initial comments in which he said he hoped the player who made the tackle never play again. Looking at the few replays I've seen, I have to say I agree with Alan Hansen (something which rarely happens!!)

4. Feb 25, 2008 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

5. Feb 25, 2008 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw some of the photos after folks were talking about it yesterday, and I don't see how he could ever play professionally again after that sort of injury. There was definitely a compound fracture, and I can only imagine there must be all sorts of torn ligaments to go with that. The only thing looking like it's in his favor is the bones came out on the medial side of the ankle, not the lateral, so may have spared the major tendons and nerves entering the foot.

6. Feb 25, 2008 #5
    I MUST SEE THIS VIdeO!

Edit: I saw pictures, ouchies!

7. Feb 25, 2008 #6
  8. Feb 26, 2008 #7
    Well, latest news. Sky news said he will be back by christmas?? wow....

9. Feb 26, 2008 #8
    Back in training/practice maybe, not playing

10. Feb 26, 2008 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I think anything else would be ridiculously over-optimistic. The bone will be healed by then enough to start working out again, but he's going to have ligament and tendon damage, scar tissue from the compound fracture, plates and screws, and possibly even nerve damage. He may never be able to run without pain, or without continuously re-injuring it from the weakness that extreme of an injury causes. And, that's all assuming the wound doesn't get infected, and blood supply wasn't damaged.

11. Feb 26, 2008 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yea, I think there's a great chance of injuries other than the actual break. I wonder if anyone remembers the Coventry footballer David Busst who suffered a similarly horrific injury against Man United in the late 90's. He had lots of complications which ended up with him never playing football again.

12. Feb 27, 2008 #11
    I am a fan of Arsenal and of course I like Eduado very much.
    Wish he would recover soon and wouldn't leave football because of this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?