Eduardo De Silva Injury: Shocking Footage & Reaction

• Thread starter _Mayday_
  • Start date
In summary, there was a horrific incident in an English football game where player Eduardo suffered a compound fracture on his leg. While some replays showed the injury, Sky Sports refused to show any replays. Wenger initially made strong comments about the player who made the tackle but later retracted them. BBC reported that Eduardo could potentially be back in nine months. However, it is unlikely that he will be able to play again at a professional level due to possible ligament, tendon, and nerve damage. Similar injuries in the past have resulted in players not being able to return to the sport. Fans of Arsenal and Eduardo are hoping for a speedy recovery.
_Mayday_
For any followers of English football, I think this may interest you. I watched it on the television on Sky Sports and they refused to show any replays of the incident.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=126105"

I couldn't walk for a few minutes as my legs felt like jelly, it was horrific, wikipedia said that some internet videos of the incident showed his lower leg/ankle barely on his leg...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I saw a picture today and from what I saw I'm not surprised that Sky refused to show any replays: it looked horrific! All, the replays I saw were from a long way out and you couldn't really see anything but a player sliding into tackle Eduardo.

I'm pleased that Wenger retracted his initial comments in which he said he hoped the player who made the tackle never play again. Looking at the few replays I've seen, I have to say I agree with Alan Hansen (something which rarely happens!)

I saw some of the photos after folks were talking about it yesterday, and I don't see how he could ever play professionally again after that sort of injury. There was definitely a compound fracture, and I can only imagine there must be all sorts of torn ligaments to go with that. The only thing looking like it's in his favor is the bones came out on the medial side of the ankle, not the lateral, so may have spared the major tendons and nerves entering the foot.

I MUST SEE THIS VIdeO!

Edit: I saw pictures, ouchies!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=289850904675758845&q=Eduardo+De+Silva&total=418&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, latest news. Sky news said he will be back by christmas?? wow...

_Mayday_ said:
Well, latest news. Sky news said he will be back by christmas?? wow...

Back in training/practice maybe, not playing

Greg Bernhardt said:
Back in training/practice maybe, not playing

Yeah, I think anything else would be ridiculously over-optimistic. The bone will be healed by then enough to start working out again, but he's going to have ligament and tendon damage, scar tissue from the compound fracture, plates and screws, and possibly even nerve damage. He may never be able to run without pain, or without continuously re-injuring it from the weakness that extreme of an injury causes. And, that's all assuming the wound doesn't get infected, and blood supply wasn't damaged.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, I think anything else would be ridiculously over-optimistic. The bone will be healed by then enough to start working out again, but he's going to have ligament and tendon damage, scar tissue from the compound fracture, plates and screws, and possibly even nerve damage. He may never be able to run without pain, or without continuously re-injuring it from the weakness that extreme of an injury causes. And, that's all assuming the wound doesn't get infected, and blood supply wasn't damaged.

Yea, I think there's a great chance of injuries other than the actual break. I wonder if anyone remembers the Coventry footballer David Busst who suffered a similarly horrific injury against Man United in the late 90's. He had lots of complications which ended up with him never playing football again.

I am a fan of Arsenal and of course I like Eduado very much.
Wish he would recover soon and wouldn't leave football because of this.

What happened to Eduardo De Silva?

Eduardo De Silva suffered a gruesome leg injury during a match against Birmingham City in 2008. His leg was fractured in two places and he also dislocated his ankle.

How did the injury occur?

The injury occurred when Birmingham City's Martin Taylor made a tackle on Eduardo De Silva, causing his leg to bend at a very awkward angle.

What was the reaction to the injury?

The reaction to Eduardo De Silva's injury was shock and horror. Players from both teams were visibly distressed and medical personnel rushed onto the field to attend to him.

What was the extent of the injury?

Eduardo De Silva suffered a compound fracture of his left fibula and an open dislocation of his left ankle. He also sustained damage to the posterior cruciate ligament and the medial and anterior cruciate ligaments.

Did Eduardo De Silva make a full recovery?

Yes, Eduardo De Silva was able to make a full recovery after several surgeries and months of rehabilitation. He returned to play for Arsenal and eventually moved on to other clubs, including a return to his home country of Croatia.

Back