EEPROM Damage Question/Discussion

• Thread starter jhunter1163
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Damage
In summary, members of the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) forum have been discussing the potential for transient voltages to damage EEPROM data storage in flight data recorders. The discussion can be found on the forum's website and any comments are appreciated. The main question raised is how the FDR found in the Pentagon after the September 11th attacks could have lost several seconds of data without completely corrupting the entire recording. This raises concerns about the effectiveness of the FDR's power down procedure and the potential for transients to cause damage.
jhunter1163
Hello all,

I am a member over at the James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) forum, and we've been having a rather lively discussion regarding the conditions under which transient voltages can damage EEPROM. This discussion can be found here:

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=66047&page=60

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's a better phrasing of the question.

"I have a question about the EEPROM data storage used in flight data recorders. I have been reading about the FDR found in the Pentagon after the crash there on Sept 11/01, and that it seems to be missing the last several seconds of data. That would represent several full frames of data. If the FDR was working properly right up to impact then how can more than just the last word in the last frame be lost? After all, the previous words would have already been recorded and set.

I know that transients can corrupt an EEPROM and obviously the power down procedure was not carried out but how could that explain a loss of up to 6 seconds without completely corrupting everything?"

Again, thanks for your help.

Hello,

I am glad to see that there is a discussion happening on this topic. I can offer some insights into the conditions that can lead to EEPROM damage by transient voltages.

First, it is important to understand that EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) is a type of non-volatile memory that can be programmed and erased electrically. This means that it can retain data even when the power is turned off. However, like any electronic component, it is susceptible to damage from transient voltages.

Transient voltages, also known as voltage spikes, are sudden and brief increases in voltage that can occur in an electrical circuit. These spikes can be caused by a variety of factors such as lightning strikes, power surges, or even switching on or off high-powered electronic devices. When these spikes occur, they can cause damage to electronic components, including EEPROM.

The level of damage caused by a transient voltage depends on several factors, including the magnitude and duration of the voltage spike, the sensitivity of the component, and the protection measures in place. For example, if the voltage spike is high enough, it can cause physical damage to the EEPROM chip, rendering it unusable. On the other hand, if the spike is lower, it may only cause data corruption or loss, which can still be detrimental depending on the application of the EEPROM.

To protect against transient voltages, it is important to have proper circuit design and protection measures in place. This can include using surge protectors, voltage regulators, and proper grounding techniques. It is also crucial to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for operating conditions and voltage tolerances for EEPROM chips.

In summary, transient voltages can indeed damage EEPROM, and the level of damage depends on various factors. It is essential to take proper precautions and follow manufacturer guidelines to prevent damage to electronic components. I hope this helps provide some clarity on the topic. Thank you for the discussion, and I welcome any further comments or questions.

1. What is EEPROM damage?

EEPROM damage refers to any type of physical or electronic damage that affects the functionality of an EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) chip. This damage can occur due to factors such as electrical surges, heat, physical damage, or manufacturing defects.

2. How can I tell if my EEPROM is damaged?

There are several signs that could indicate EEPROM damage, including data corruption, failure to save or retrieve data, and the inability to program the chip. In some cases, the EEPROM may also emit a burning smell or show visible signs of physical damage.

3. Can EEPROM damage be repaired?

In most cases, EEPROM damage cannot be repaired and the chip will need to be replaced. However, if the damage is due to data corruption, it may be possible to recover the data through specialized techniques.

4. How can I prevent EEPROM damage?

To prevent EEPROM damage, it is important to handle the chip carefully and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures or electrical surges. It is also recommended to use high-quality EEPROM chips from reputable manufacturers.

5. Is EEPROM damage a common issue?

EEPROM damage can occur, but it is not a common issue. These chips are designed to be durable and have a long lifespan. However, certain factors such as poor handling or manufacturing defects can increase the risk of damage.