Effective population size (Ne)

• Thread starter Bio-student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    population
In summary, the concept of Population Genetics involves understanding the effective population size needed to maintain genetic diversity. Genetic linkage can reduce this effective size due to hitch-hiking, which favors certain genotypes over others. However, genetic drift can also increase diversity, leading to a smaller effective population size. This can be seen in the occurrence of bottlenecks followed by genetic drift or mixing of genotypes.
Bio-student
Hi guys,
Got a semester exam on Population Genetics coming up in a few weeks and I'm really struggling to get my head around this concept.

I've read a number of internet sources but am still not completely certain of what it is. Could anyone give me a basic overview, also I've got it written in my notes that "genetic linkage reduces the Ne because of hitch-hiking", I understand what linkage and hitch-hiking are but not sure how this relates to Ne? I know it has something to do with genetic drift.

Thanks in advance!

Biology news on Phys.org
Bio-student said:
I've got it written in my notes that "genetic linkage reduces the Ne because of hitch-hiking", I understand what linkage and hitch-hiking are but not sure how this relates to Ne? I know it has something to do with genetic drift.

Thanks in advance!

'Ne' is the effective population size needed to maintain population diversity. To the extent that genetic linkage reduces population diversity, it increases the effective population size needed to preserve diversity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20122296

Last edited:
I agree, internet sources seem to be a bit confusing regarding strict relationships between the Ne and actual population diversity. My view is that genetic linkages between selective traits or between a selective trait and a non-selective (but non-deleterious) trait would favor one genotype over others and therefore would tend to reduce population diversity. Genetic drift (by definition, involving non-selective traits), however would tend to increase population diversity.

Bottlenecks, where one genotype is selected, may be followed by periods of genetic drift and/or mixing with other genotypes increasing diversity over time. Because of this, the Ne may remain small in diverse populations.

Last edited:

What is Effective Population Size (Ne)?

Effective Population Size, also known as Ne, is a measure of the genetic diversity within a population. It takes into account factors such as population size, breeding patterns, and genetic drift to estimate the number of individuals in a population that contribute to the gene pool.

Why is Effective Population Size important?

Effective Population Size is important because it provides an understanding of the genetic health and viability of a population. It can also help determine the risk of inbreeding and potential for adaptation to changing environmental conditions.

How is Effective Population Size calculated?

The exact calculation of Ne is complex and involves a combination of methods from population genetics and statistics. One common method is based on the rate of change of gene frequencies, taking into account the effective population size and the number of generations that have passed.

What factors can affect Effective Population Size?

Effective Population Size can be affected by several factors including genetic drift, population bottlenecks, inbreeding, and natural selection. Additionally, human activities such as habitat destruction and fragmentation can also impact Ne.

What is the difference between Effective Population Size and Census Population Size?

Census Population Size refers to the actual number of individuals in a population, while Effective Population Size takes into account the genetic contribution of individuals to the overall population. Therefore, Ne is often smaller than the Census Population Size due to factors such as unequal breeding patterns and genetic drift.