1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effective potential energy minimum

1. Jan 12, 2015 #1
    Effective potential energy is defined by
    [tex]U^*(\rho)=\frac{L^2}{2m\rho^2}+U(\rho) [/tex]
    in many problems I found that particle will have stable circular orbit if [tex]U^*(\rho)[/tex] has minimum.

1. Why is that a case? Why circle? Why not ellipse for example?

2. Is this condition equivalent with
    [tex]\frac{f'(\rho)}{f(\rho)}+\frac{3}{\rho}>0[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Around a minimum ##\rho_0## you (very often) have
    $$U(\rho)=U_0(\rho_0)+\frac{m \omega^2}{2}$$
    with ##m \omega^2=U''(\rho)>0##. This implies that if the particle is close to the minimum ##\rho_0##, it behaves as in a harmonic-oscillator potential. A particular solution is of course ##\rho(t)=\rho_0=\text{const}##. Then you have a circular orbit. Otherwise the particle oscillates around such an orbit.

4. Jan 13, 2015 #3
    And when this is not the case? I am really trying to understand this but I have difficulties.

5. Jan 13, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What do you mean? If you have a twice continuously differentiable function in some interval, the necessary condition for a (local) extremum is that its first derivative vanishes at the corresponding point. To have a minimum, it's sufficient (but not necessary) that the 2nd derivative is positive.

The criterion fails, if the function's 2nd derivative is also 0 at this point. Then it's either a saddle point or an extremum, depending on whether the first non-vanishing derivative is odd or even, respectively.

E.g. the function ##f(x)=x^3## has ##f'(x)=3 x^2##, ##f''(x)=6x##, ##f'''(x)=6##. The 1st derivative vanishes at ##x=0## and there also ##f''(0)=0## but ##f'''(0) \neq 0##. Obviously the graph of the function has a saddle-point, i.e., a tangent with vanishing slope but no extremum in ##x=0##.

In the same way, you find that ##f(x)=x^4## has a tangent of vanishing slope at ##x=0## with ##f''(0)=0## but also ##f'''(0)=0## and ##f^{(4)}(0)=24>0##, i.e., a minimum at ##x=0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook