Effective resistance in a pentagram of resistors

In summary: This one is just a pentagram with resistors in each branch. He told us that we need to find the resistance between any two adjacent joints, and that the current would divide out evenly between the branches. We tried doing it with a voltmeter, but we couldn't seem to get it to work. Can you help us out?
bassist11

Homework Statement

So I have a pentagram of resistors, one in each branch of resistance "r". Each joint is also connected to the two joints across from it but none of the wires inside the pentagram are connected. I need to find the resistance between any two adjacent joints.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I know I have to assign currents to each branch first and assume I know these currents because in the end they will divide out anyways. I know Kirchhoff's laws and how to add resistors in parallel and series. I'm just stuck on how the currents divide. Our teacher has given us an answer of 2/5 resistance and if you divide the current going in at one point into four due to symmetry, you won't get that.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the circuit is you're describing, but it sounds like you might be in one of the configurations that is neither parallel nor series. In this case, you need Kirchhoff.

It is a "trick" problem. Either you see the solution or you don't. Letter the points of the pentagram ABCDE in order around the perimeter. Now, if you want to calculate the current from A to B, assuming they are the only connections to an external current source, start by ignoring the triangle CDE. You have one path of resistance r and three paths of resistance 2r. Now notice that the symmetry of the circuit means that you can't tell vertices C, D, and E apart. Each is the mid-point of one of the 2r paths, and each is part of triangle CDE. By renaming the verticies you can see that current won't flow in triangle CDE. (Or manybe you can't see it, a lot of students have trouble doing the mental gymnastics.)

So A and B are directly connected by a resistor of 1 r, and indirectly by three circuits of resitance 2 r. The easiest way to proceed now is to look at the currents. If r is 1 ohm, and the voltage from A to B is one volt, you will have a current of 1 Ampere through the direct path, and three 1/2 Ampere currents through the other vertices. Total current 5/2 Ampere, effective resistance 2/5 r.

That helps a ton^ When I was working it earlier, I kind of came to the same conclusion about no current flowing through that upper triangle. I think I just went wrong though when I divided the current into four when it comes in.

Would I be right in saying that the effective resistance is the same between any two points?

Our physics teacher has just been piling these "novelty" resistor problems on us.. We've done the cube, two infinite chains, a square, a diamond, you name it..

Last edited:

1. What is "effective resistance" in a pentagram of resistors?

Effective resistance in a pentagram of resistors refers to the overall resistance that is seen by the current flowing through the circuit. It takes into account the individual resistances of each resistor and how they are connected in the pentagram shape.

2. How is the effective resistance calculated in a pentagram of resistors?

The effective resistance in a pentagram of resistors can be calculated using the parallel and series resistance formulas. The resistors in the pentagram are connected in both series and parallel, so the calculations involve a combination of these formulas.

3. How does the effective resistance change when resistors are added or removed from a pentagram?

As resistors are added or removed from a pentagram, the effective resistance will change. Adding resistors in parallel will decrease the overall resistance, while adding resistors in series will increase it. Similarly, removing resistors in parallel will increase the overall resistance, while removing resistors in series will decrease it.

4. What is the significance of effective resistance in a pentagram of resistors?

The effective resistance in a pentagram of resistors is important because it helps determine the amount of current that will flow through the circuit. It also affects the overall power dissipation and energy efficiency of the circuit.

5. Can the effective resistance ever be lower than the resistance of the individual resistors in a pentagram?

No, the effective resistance can never be lower than the resistance of the individual resistors in a pentagram. This is due to the fact that resistors in parallel always have a lower overall resistance than resistors in series. Therefore, the effective resistance will always be higher than the individual resistances in a pentagram of resistors.