Effects of propylene glycol on heat transfer efficiency

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the heat loss efficiency of increasing the mixture of propylene glycol in a heat transfer fluid compared to water. The person is looking for multiple data points to create an equation and has found helpful information on the thermal conductivity of aqueous solutions of Dowfrost on a website. They also mention searching Google for information on propylene glycol solution thermal conductivity.
MrDieselT
I'm trying to calculate the heat loss of efficiency due to increasing the mixture of propylene glycol in a heat transfer fluid compared to water.. For this I'm saying that water has a heat transfer efficiency of 100% (relative only)

Im looking for multiple data points to create an equation not just random numbers.

Likes bojanna
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bandit127 said:
Much as I don't like just giving out plain answers and would much prefer to provide 'food for thought', I found your answer while looking for the 'food for thought'.
https://dow-answer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4815/~/lttf---thermal-conductivity-of-aqueous-solutions-of-dowfrost---english-units

I searched Google for propylene glycol solution thermal conductivity

Thanks! I tried googling but was not using the right words!

Likes bojanna

What is propylene glycol and how does it affect heat transfer efficiency?

Propylene glycol is a chemical compound commonly used as a heat transfer fluid in various industrial and commercial applications. It is a type of glycol that is known for its low toxicity and high heat transfer efficiency. When added to water, propylene glycol lowers the freezing point and increases the boiling point, making it more effective at transferring heat.

How does the concentration of propylene glycol affect heat transfer efficiency?

The concentration of propylene glycol in a heat transfer system plays a crucial role in its efficiency. Generally, a higher concentration of propylene glycol leads to a lower heat transfer coefficient, as it increases the viscosity of the fluid and reduces its ability to transfer heat. However, in cases where freezing or boiling points need to be lowered, a higher concentration of propylene glycol may be necessary, even if it results in slightly lower efficiency.

What are the advantages of using propylene glycol as a heat transfer fluid?

There are several advantages of using propylene glycol as a heat transfer fluid. Firstly, it has a higher boiling point and lower freezing point compared to water, making it suitable for use in extreme temperatures. Secondly, it is less corrosive than other heat transfer fluids, which helps prolong the life of equipment. Additionally, it has a lower toxicity level, making it safer for use in food and beverage industries.

What are the potential drawbacks of using propylene glycol for heat transfer?

While propylene glycol has many benefits, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. One major drawback is its higher cost compared to other heat transfer fluids. Additionally, it can be more challenging to dispose of and may require special treatment due to its toxicity. It can also degrade over time, leading to decreased efficiency and the need for more frequent replacements.

What are some factors that can affect the performance of propylene glycol in heat transfer systems?

Several factors can influence the performance of propylene glycol in heat transfer systems. These include the concentration of the fluid, the flow rate, the temperature range, and the type of equipment used. Other factors such as pH levels, oxygen exposure, and the presence of contaminants can also affect its performance. It is essential to monitor these factors regularly to ensure optimal heat transfer efficiency.