Efficiency and Energy to move a box on a conveyor belt

In summary, the force acting on the box is 99.2 N, calculated using the formula F=ma. The work done on the box in moving it 100m is 3.97 x 10^4 J, found using the formula W=fd.
UnknownQuestioner
New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Homework Statement
Please refer to the attached picture.
Relevant Equations
This is where I am stuck at, I can’t seem to figure out the formulas to use and the combination of using them.
BNuT1m6SNQp9NkuEX_uqpdE9Mzaiexp13KOhfix3YyAE3Q5Y5n9hPU6QqUzu2HeNAKFm5-L_5OpYv8QI0qRLzm_iCbtBNS...png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What force acts on the box? I assume the conveyor belt is horizontal.

Gravity? Not sure

If the box is being accelerated by the belt, the belt's got to be exerting a force on it. You know the mass of the box (from the weight) and the acceleration, so can you get the force the belt exerts on the box?

1588848049429.png

Yeah, but you can just use components here. Just say ##F=ma##. What is the force?

Would that be 350 x 2.78 to get 973 N as the force?

UnknownQuestioner said:
Would that be 350 x 2.78 to get 973 N as the force?

What's the mass of the box?

Oops, that would be 35.7 kg. Then 35.7 x 2.78 to get 99.2 N

UnknownQuestioner said:
Oops, that would be 35.7 kg. Then 35.7 x 2.78 to get 99.2 N
So how much work is done on the box in moving it the 100m?

haruspex said:
So how much work is done on the box in moving it the 100m?

I used f=ma to get 99.2N then I used W=fd to get 9920J. This energy is the output, so output/0.25=input. To get a final answer of 3.97 x 10^4 J This is correct?

UnknownQuestioner said:
I used f=ma to get 99.2N then I used W=fd to get 9920J. This energy is the output, so output/0.25=input. To get a final answer of 3.97 x 10^4 J This is correct?
Looks good.

1. How does the weight of the box affect the efficiency of moving it on a conveyor belt?

The weight of the box directly impacts the amount of energy required to move it on a conveyor belt. Heavier boxes will require more energy to move, resulting in lower efficiency. It is important to consider the weight of the box when designing a conveyor system to ensure optimal efficiency.

2. Is there a difference in efficiency between different types of conveyor belts?

Yes, there can be a significant difference in efficiency between different types of conveyor belts. Factors such as the material, width, and speed of the belt can all affect the efficiency of moving a box. It is important to carefully consider these factors when selecting a conveyor belt for a specific application.

3. How does the speed of the conveyor belt affect the energy required to move a box?

The speed of the conveyor belt plays a crucial role in the efficiency of moving a box. A higher speed may result in faster movement of the box, but it also requires more energy to maintain that speed. Finding the optimal speed for a specific box and conveyor system is important for maximizing efficiency.

4. Can the design of the conveyor belt impact its efficiency?

Yes, the design of the conveyor belt can greatly impact its efficiency. Factors such as the angle of incline, the number and placement of rollers, and the overall layout of the conveyor system can all affect how efficiently a box can be moved. Careful consideration of these design elements is important for optimizing efficiency.

5. How can energy consumption be reduced when moving boxes on a conveyor belt?

There are several ways to reduce energy consumption when moving boxes on a conveyor belt. These include using lightweight materials for the boxes, implementing efficient conveyor belt designs, and utilizing energy-saving technologies such as regenerative braking. Proper maintenance and regular monitoring of the conveyor system can also help identify areas for improvement in energy efficiency.