2 Conveyors with different speeds

In summary: But in your earlier attempt you assumed a constant acceleration.Kinetic Frictional force is F = (Ua - Va)/2
omarmorocci
(mentor note: moved here from a non-homework thread)

Hello
I am trying to find the time it will take for a parcel to pass over one conveyor belt
upload_2017-3-30_14-6-40.png

The conveyor on the right is Conveyor A The conveyor on the left is Conveyor B
they both have a length of 700mm
Conveyor A has a constant speed of X
Conveyor B has a constant speed of Y
The hockey pick has a radius of 80 mm
The coefficient of friction is Z
the hockey puck is initially moving at speed X

I need to find the time it will take for the parcel to pass completely over Conveyor B ( shown with arrow in picture).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like homework. We cannot solve it for you.

Please show some work so we can provide some hints to help you work it out.

jedishrfu said:
This looks like homework. We cannot solve it for you.

Please show some work so we can provide some hints to help you work it out.

Hello,

I am actually looking for a way to start as I am not sure how to approach it.

Here's what I have so far:
upload_2017-3-30_15-2-50.png

The question I believe lies at the point where the puck crosses from the first conevyor belt to the second.
I have this force diagram but I am not sure if it's right

omarmorocci said:
Hello,

I am actually looking for a way to start as I am not sure how to approach it.

Here's what I have so far:
View attachment 115271

The question I believe lies at the point where the puck crosses from the first conevyor belt to the second.
I have this force diagram but I am not sure if it's right
You need to consider a more general state during the cross-over. When there is a length x on conveyor B, how much weight will be on that conveyor? You will have to make some reasonable/idealised assumptions to answer this.

haruspex said:
You need to consider a more general state during the cross-over. When there is a length x on conveyor B, how much weight will be on that conveyor? You will have to make some reasonable/idealised assumptions to answer this.

I generalized the problem to get an approximate answer.
I removed the conveyor belt on the right and just assumed that the hockey puck has a speed of X when introduced on to the conveyor belt on the left
So U ( initial speed) = X
V ( final speed) = Y
S (distance) = 700
T (time taken)= T

I assumed that the acceleration is constant, hence s = (U+V)/2 *T

Is this approach correct to get an approximate answer ?

omarmorocci said:
Is this approach correct to get an approximate answer ?
No. Imagine making the B conveyor much longer. The distance the puck travels on B before coming to the same speed as B does not keep increasing. It is controlled by the coefficient of friction.
You could get an approximate answer by just supposing the puck is dropped onto B with the horizontal speed of A and calculating the time it would take to accelerate to the speed of B. But if that were the expected solution I do not see why they would have given you the 9mm separation distance.

Likes jedishrfu
haruspex said:
No. Imagine making the B conveyor much longer. The distance the puck travels on B before coming to the same speed as B does not keep increasing. It is controlled by the coefficient of friction.
You could get an approximate answer by just supposing the puck is dropped onto B with the horizontal speed of A and calculating the time it would take to accelerate to the speed of B. But if that were the expected solution I do not see why they would have given you the 9mm separation distance.
It's not a homework questions, I am actually working with conveyor belts and need to calculate the speed the conveyor B based on time it takes for the parcel (hockey puck) to pass conveyor B. So this is real life problem not a homework.

With that said being said. Your second part suggesting calculating the time it would take for the puck to reach speed B, how do I do that ?
I figured that the puck would instantly have the speed of conveyor B as the puck won't slide and hence it will have a speed of 0 relative to the belt

omarmorocci said:
I figured that the puck would instantly have the speed of conveyor B
But in your earlier attempt you assumed a constant acceleration.
You quote a coefficient of friction. Is that kinetic or static? If it is kinetic, what is the frictional force when sliding? What acceleration does that give?

What is the purpose of having two conveyors with different speeds?

The purpose of having two conveyors with different speeds is to control the flow of materials on the conveyor system. By adjusting the speeds of the conveyors, you can regulate the rate at which materials are transferred from one conveyor to another, ensuring efficient and smooth operation.

How does the speed of a conveyor affect the overall efficiency of the system?

The speed of a conveyor plays a crucial role in the overall efficiency of the system. If the conveyor is too slow, it can lead to bottlenecks and slow down the production process. On the other hand, if the conveyor is too fast, it can cause materials to spill or get damaged, leading to waste and downtime. Hence, having two conveyors with different speeds allows for optimal efficiency and productivity.

What factors should be considered when determining the speeds of the conveyors?

Several factors should be considered when determining the speeds of the conveyors, including the type and weight of materials being transported, the distance between the conveyors, and the desired production rate. It is essential to find a balance between the conveyor speeds to ensure smooth and efficient operation.

Can the speeds of the conveyors be adjusted while the system is in operation?

Yes, the speeds of the conveyors can be adjusted while the system is in operation. However, it is recommended to make any changes gradually and monitor the effects on the system's efficiency. This will help avoid any potential issues or disruptions in the production process.

Are there any safety considerations when using conveyors with different speeds?

Yes, there are safety considerations when using conveyors with different speeds. It is crucial to ensure that the conveyors are properly guarded, and all safety protocols are followed. Additionally, operators should be trained on how to handle materials on the conveyors, especially when the speeds are different, to prevent accidents and injuries.