1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Efficiency of a cycle in TS diagram

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A working substance goes through a cycle within which the absolute temperature varies n-fold, and the shape of the cycle is
    66w082.jpg ,
    where T is the absolute temperature, and S the entropy. Find the efficiency cycle.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{\delta Q_R}{T}=dS[/tex], [tex]\eta=1-\frac{|Q_{out}|}{Q_{in}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The total heat is [tex]Q=\int T dS[/tex], that is the area of the surface in the picture. I could just say: it's a triangle so I'll use the formula for the triangle surface:
    [tex]P=\frac{1}{2}ab[/tex].

The [tex]Q_{in}[/tex] is easy to calculate:[tex]Q_{in}=T_0\int_{S_0}^{S_1}dS=T_0(S_1-S_0)[/tex].

But how do I get the [tex]Q_{out}[/tex]? The temperature changes. I have found in solution (without explanation) that the answer is:

[tex]Q_{out}=\frac{1}{2}(T_0+T_1)(S_1-S_0)[/tex], but why [tex]T_0+T_1[/tex]? and where does that 1/2 comes from? The triangle area formula? :\

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2
    No, it's trapezium's area.
    But why don't you look at it another way? The "total heat" you calculated is actually work done A! And for a cycle: [tex]A = Q_{in} - |Q_{out}|[/tex]. So instead of doing an integration or wondering it's triangle or something else, just calculate a simple sum.

4. Jun 21, 2010 #3

Ummm it's triangle :D

I don't get it how to calculate the sum when I don't have the work :\ [tex]A=W=pdV[/tex] right? 1-2 is isotherm, 2-3 is isenthalp (no Q) and 3-1 is sth I don't know :D I could say that its a line with slope k, which is not that hard to calculate, but I don't have the y-intercept (T in my graph)...

5. Jun 21, 2010 #4
    Eek, if you rotate your diagram 90 degrees, you will see a trapezium.
    And again, the "total heat" you got is the work A. It's a complete cycle, so [tex]\Delta U = 0[/tex].

6. Jun 21, 2010 #5
    Maybe you cannot see it from my drawing, but it is a triangle, it's such in the original form. There's just no way to make it into trapezium. But that aside, I still don't see how to calculate work XD

7. Jun 21, 2010 #6
    The trapezium corresponds to [tex]Q_{out}[/tex]. The formula you got for [tex]Q_{out}[/tex] is the trapezium's area. See the area you need to calculate? Rotate it 90 degrees.

For a complete cycle: [tex]\Delta U = Q_{total} - A = 0[/tex]. You see?

8. Jun 21, 2010 #7
    I get it now, the area UNDER 3-1 line is [tex]Q_{out}[/tex]! And that is trapezium. I didn't understand that XD Thnx anyhow :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook