Efficiency of a cycle in TS diagram

In summary, the conversation discusses a working substance going through a cycle with varying absolute temperature and finding the efficiency cycle. The formula for calculating the efficiency cycle is given, as well as the formula for total heat. The conversation then goes on to discuss finding the Q_{out} and the confusion surrounding it, but ultimately concludes that the Q_{out} can be represented by the area under the 3-1 line, which is a trapezium. The conversation ends with the understanding that the area under the 3-1 line is Q_{out}.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

A working substance goes through a cycle within which the absolute temperature varies n-fold, and the shape of the cycle is
66w082.jpg
where T is the absolute temperature, and S the entropy. Find the efficiency cycle.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{\delta Q_R}{T}=dS[/tex], [tex]\eta=1-\frac{|Q_{out}|}{Q_{in}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The total heat is [tex]Q=\int T dS[/tex], that is the area of the surface in the picture. I could just say: it's a triangle so I'll use the formula for the triangle surface:
[tex]P=\frac{1}{2}ab[/tex].

The [tex]Q_{in}[/tex] is easy to calculate:[tex]Q_{in}=T_0\int_{S_0}^{S_1}dS=T_0(S_1-S_0)[/tex].

But how do I get the [tex]Q_{out}[/tex]? The temperature changes. I have found in solution (without explanation) that the answer is:

[tex]Q_{out}=\frac{1}{2}(T_0+T_1)(S_1-S_0)[/tex], but why [tex]T_0+T_1[/tex]? and where does that 1/2 comes from? The triangle area formula? :\

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it's trapezium's area.
But why don't you look at it another way? The "total heat" you calculated is actually work done A! And for a cycle: [tex]A = Q_{in} - |Q_{out}|[/tex]. So instead of doing an integration or wondering it's triangle or something else, just calculate a simple sum.

hikaru1221 said:
No, it's trapezium's area.
But why don't you look at it another way? The "total heat" you calculated is actually work done A! And for a cycle: [tex]A = Q_{in} - |Q_{out}|[/tex]. So instead of doing an integration or wondering it's triangle or something else, just calculate a simple sum.

Ummm it's triangle :D

I don't get it how to calculate the sum when I don't have the work :\ [tex]A=W=pdV[/tex] right? 1-2 is isotherm, 2-3 is isenthalp (no Q) and 3-1 is sth I don't know :D I could say that its a line with slope k, which is not that hard to calculate, but I don't have the y-intercept (T in my graph)...

Eek, if you rotate your diagram 90 degrees, you will see a trapezium.
And again, the "total heat" you got is the work A. It's a complete cycle, so [tex]\Delta U = 0[/tex].

hikaru1221 said:
Eek, if you rotate your diagram 90 degrees, you will see a trapezium.
And again, the "total heat" you got is the work A. It's a complete cycle, so [tex]\Delta U = 0[/tex].

Maybe you cannot see it from my drawing, but it is a triangle, it's such in the original form. There's just no way to make it into trapezium. But that aside, I still don't see how to calculate work XD

The trapezium corresponds to [tex]Q_{out}[/tex]. The formula you got for [tex]Q_{out}[/tex] is the trapezium's area. See the area you need to calculate? Rotate it 90 degrees.

For a complete cycle: [tex]\Delta U = Q_{total} - A = 0[/tex]. You see?

I get it now, the area UNDER 3-1 line is [tex]Q_{out}[/tex]! And that is trapezium. I didn't understand that XD Thnx anyhow :D

1. How is efficiency defined in a TS diagram?

Efficiency in a TS (temperature-entropy) diagram is defined as the ratio of the desired output of a cycle to the total input energy. In other words, it measures the effectiveness of a cycle in converting energy into work.

2. What is the ideal efficiency of a cycle in a TS diagram?

The ideal efficiency of a cycle in a TS diagram is the Carnot efficiency, which is equal to the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs divided by the temperature of the hot reservoir.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a cycle in a TS diagram?

The efficiency of a cycle in a TS diagram is affected by several factors, including the type of cycle (e.g. Carnot, Otto, Rankine), the working fluid used, and the temperature and pressure of the hot and cold reservoirs.

4. How can the efficiency of a cycle be improved in a TS diagram?

There are several ways to improve the efficiency of a cycle in a TS diagram, such as increasing the temperature of the hot reservoir, reducing the temperature of the cold reservoir, and using more efficient working fluids. Additionally, minimizing energy losses during the cycle can also improve efficiency.

5. Can the efficiency of a cycle in a TS diagram be greater than 100%?

No, the efficiency of a cycle in a TS diagram cannot be greater than 100%. This would violate the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed and that heat cannot flow from a cold reservoir to a hot reservoir without external work being done.