Efficiency of a heat engine given a P-V diagram of its process

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
XSummer32
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Hello, I'm attempting a question and I'm not sure what I did wrong with my answer
This is the question:

A volume of ideal gas, Cv = 1.21R, undergoes a cyclic process, the triangle abc in the p-V diagram. It starts at point a (T = 300 K, P = 3 kPa, V = 1 L) and expands until the volume reaches 6.3 liter at point b. It then gives away heat to the environment at constant pressure until its volume decreases to point c (P = 1 kPa, V = 1 L). Finally, it absorbs heat at constant volume and gets back to point a. Find the efficiency (%) of this heat engine.

(hint: find the total net work (W) done, and identify the processes (ab and ca) in which the gas absorbs a total amount of heat Qh. The efficiency is then W/Qh.
Relevant Equations
Q - isothermal = nRT ln(v2/v1)
volume constant = nCv * Change in Temperature

Work done - Isothermal = -nRT ln (v2/v1)
Isobaric = -P * Change in volume

Efficiency = W/Qh
I post the working in the attached file
 
Attachments
  • Screenshot 2021-01-07 222025.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-07 222025.png
    15 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_4185.jpeg
    IMG_4185.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 217
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't read your handwriting; your post is unreadable. Just write out your last two equations using LaTex, and I'll see what you've come up with.