Efficiency of a heat engine in a reversible cycle

In summary, the conversation discussed the steps of a reversible cycle for a heat engine, which includes adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and constant volume heating. The efficiency of the cycle was calculated to be 30%, which was then compared to the Carnot efficiency of 60% for the given temperatures. The conversation also mentioned the use of heat capacity ratio and temperature and volume ratios in solving for the efficiency. However, there seems to be a mistake in the calculations as the expected efficiency should be 50%.
JSmith123

Homework Statement

A heat engine operates in a reversible cycle with the following steps:
282iyop.jpg

(i) An ideal gas characterized by γ = 1.4 expands adiabatically, so that it cools from an initial temperature of 330°C to 30°C.
(ii) It is compressed isothermally until it reaches its initial volume.
(iii) It is then heated at constant volume until it reaches its initial temperature.

Calculate the efficiency of the cycle.
η =

Compare your answer above with the Carnot efficiency that corresponds to these temperatures.
η/η_Carnot =

Homework Equations

η_Carnot = 1 - T_c/T_h

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers are 0.30 and 60%. I know how to get the Carnot efficiency, but I'm not sure how to solve for the first answer. How do you find the efficiency with just 2 temperatures and a heat capacity ratio?

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously the carnot eff= 50%

cycle efficiency=Work out/work in

Look first at the adiabatic process.The equation for work is just -n*R*(T_f-T_i)/(Y-1)

You can use the ratios of temperatures and volumes for adiabatic processes to find V_f/V_i that ratio is important because it is the same ratio needed for the isothermal process.

For the isothermal process W=-n*R*T*(V_f/V_i)

The cycle efficiency should be the ratio of isothermal work and adabatic work which is 70%, it should be 30% or 1-.7

There is a mistake somewhere, if some one finds it let me know!

1. What is a heat engine?

A heat engine is a device that converts heat energy into mechanical work, typically by utilizing the temperature difference between a hot reservoir and a cold reservoir.

2. What is a reversible cycle?

A reversible cycle is a hypothetical thermodynamic process in which the system undergoes a series of changes and then returns to its original state without any net change to its surroundings. This means that the process can be reversed without any loss of energy or increase in entropy.

3. How is the efficiency of a heat engine in a reversible cycle calculated?

The efficiency of a heat engine in a reversible cycle is calculated using the Carnot efficiency formula, which is the ratio of the difference in temperature between the hot and cold reservoirs to the temperature of the hot reservoir. This can also be expressed as the ratio of work output to heat input.

4. Why is the efficiency of a heat engine in a reversible cycle considered the maximum possible efficiency?

The efficiency of a heat engine in a reversible cycle is considered the maximum possible efficiency because it represents the most efficient way to convert heat energy into mechanical work. This is due to the fact that a reversible cycle minimizes the amount of energy lost through heat transfer to the surroundings.

5. Can a real heat engine achieve the efficiency of a reversible cycle?

No, a real heat engine cannot achieve the efficiency of a reversible cycle. This is because real systems are subject to various sources of energy loss, such as friction and heat transfer, which cannot be completely eliminated. However, the Carnot efficiency can serve as a benchmark for the maximum possible efficiency that can be achieved by a real heat engine.