Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Egg Drop Experiment Physics CLass

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    My physics class is doing the popular egg drop experiment. We may only use wooden strips no larger than a 1/4" by 1/4" in cross section (ex: toothpicks, popsicle sticks). We may not use bamboo as it is a grass not a wood. We can only use glue, cement, superglue, or hot glue to hold it together. We also must be able to load the egg into the container and remove it after a successful drop. The egg cannot be cooked, coated, or altered in any way. The drop will be from about 10 meters. Does anyone have any helpful information? Anything is appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2
    Are you able to shred the wooden strips?

4. Nov 27, 2011 #3
    That is a very good question that I do not yet know the answer to. I will ask my teacher tomorrow about it. But for time's sake, let us assume that the wood can indeed be shredded.

5. Nov 27, 2011 #4
    I helped my sister with this a few years ago. Since the egg is very strong on the "pointy sides" you just have to make sure that the point of impact is oriented in that direct. What we did was put an egg in a paper towel tube, put coushining on the other edges, and rocks on the bottom. It apparently fell like a rock, but hers was the only one that didn't break.

6. Nov 27, 2011 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The egg drop experiment has been discussed here on PF a number of times, so you can probably get some good information by looking at some of the previous threads. Use the "Search" link at the top of the page (just below the "Physics Forums" logo), and choose the "Google custom search" option for best results.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook