Eigenfunction and Eigenvalue Confusion

In summary: For example, take the momentum operator\hat{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}The function \psi(x) = \cos kx isn't an eigenfunction because applying the operator yields\hat{p}\psi(x) = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cos kx = i\hbar k\sin kxwhich isn't equal to cos kx times a constant. The function \psi(x) = e^{ikx}, however, is an eigenfunction because you have\hat{p}\psi(x) = \hbar k e^{ikx}
tarletontexan

Homework Statement

given the following functions:
y(x)= Acos(kx)
y(x)=A sin(kx)-Acos(kx)
y(x)=Acos(kx)+iAsin(kx)
y(x)=A d(x-x0)

Which are eigenfunctions of the position, momentum, potential energy,kinetic energy, hamiltonian, and total energy operators

Homework Equations

y(x) is supposed to be [tex]\psi[/tex](x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a list of the operators in my book, but am unsure what the question is asking for...I know that operators are supposed to be multiplied to functions and the result is the functions times a constant. I am a little cloudy on the understanding and need a little bit of help clearing it up.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're just supposed to see if applying an operator to the function results in the original function times a constant. For example, take the momentum operator

[tex]\hat{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

The function [itex]\psi(x) = \cos kx[/itex] isn't an eigenfunction because applying the operator yields

[tex]\hat{p}\psi(x) = \frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \cos kx = i\hbar k\sin kx[/tex]

which isn't equal to cos kx times a constant. The function [itex]\psi(x) = e^{ikx}[/itex], however, is an eigenfunction because you have

[tex]\hat{p}\psi(x) = \hbar k e^{ikx} = \hbar k \psi(x)[/tex]

and the eigenvalue is [itex]\hbar k[/itex].

ok, that makes some sense, so since the position operator [x] is just x, then all of the functions are eigenfunctions...similarly, the potential energy operator is just the potential energy function. In this case the function is zero so since its =0 all the functions are eigen functions too right?

ok thanks, i think I have bridged the gap in my knowledge, one more quick question though...in Acos(kx)+iAsin(kx) the i doesn't play a role does it? I mean its just like a negative sign??

tarletontexan said:
ok, that makes some sense, so since the position operator [x] is just x, then all of the functions are eigenfunctions
No, that's not correct. For example, you have

[tex]\hat{x}(A \cos kx) = Ax\cos kx[/tex]

That's not in the form of a constant multiplying the original function.
...similarly, the potential energy operator is just the potential energy function. In this case the function is zero so since its =0 all the functions are eigen functions too right?

wait, so x is the operator and if it multiplies times Acos(kx) or Acos(kx)+iAsin(kx) then wouldn't it be the same as multiplying x(psi)?

I'm not sure what you're asking. What's psi? Also, since you're using the same symbol for both the operator [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and variable [itex]x[/itex], you need to be clear which one you're using in your expressions.

[tex]\psi[/tex] is psi, and i mean [x] times [tex]\psi[/tex] would be [x]Acos(kx).

What does [x] mean?

its the operator...

Yes, applying the operator to a function results in the function multiplied by x (which isn't a constant).

What is an eigenfunction and eigenvalue?

An eigenfunction is a function that, when acted upon by a linear operator, yields a scalar multiple of itself. An eigenvalue is the scalar multiple that the eigenfunction is multiplied by.

What is the difference between an eigenfunction and an eigenvector?

An eigenfunction is a function, while an eigenvector is a vector. However, both are used to represent the same concept in different mathematical contexts. Eigenfunctions are often used in functional analysis, while eigenvectors are used in linear algebra.

How do eigenfunctions and eigenvalues relate to each other?

An eigenfunction and its corresponding eigenvalue are intimately related. The eigenvalue represents a scaling factor for the eigenfunction when it is acted upon by a linear operator. In other words, the eigenfunction is a "special" function that does not change in shape when operated on by a linear operator, but only changes in magnitude.

What is the significance of finding eigenfunctions and eigenvalues?

Finding eigenfunctions and eigenvalues is important in many areas of mathematics and science. They are used to solve differential equations, understand the behavior of matrices, and analyze physical systems. They also have applications in quantum mechanics, signal processing, and data compression.

Can eigenfunctions and eigenvalues be complex numbers?

Yes, eigenfunctions and eigenvalues can be complex numbers. In fact, many important functions, such as trigonometric functions and exponential functions, have complex eigenfunctions and eigenvalues. This is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where complex numbers are used to represent the wave-like behavior of particles.