Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eigenfunction of Angular Momentum Squared Operator

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The square of the angular momentum operator is (in SPC);

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/67/54712598.png [Broken]

Show that Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) = C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Is an eigenfunction. C is a constant.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not able to get it in the form of (A number) times Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) = C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]. No matter what, I always end up with;

-2C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex] - 4C[itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex] - and I don't know what to do with that.

This is clearly not what I want, there is an extra term that I just can't seem to eradicate. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might want to show some of the earlier steps. You've made a mistake combining the first 2 terms.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    Hmm, well with

[itex]\frac{\delta^{2}}{\delta\theta^{2}}[/itex] of Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) I get

(having taken the constant C out)

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex]([itex]sin^{2} - cos^{2}[/itex])

With [itex]cot\theta \frac{\delta}{\delta\theta}[/itex]

I get

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} sin\theta cos\theta[/itex] = [itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]cos^{2}\theta[/itex]

and lastly with

[itex]\frac{1}{sin^{2}\theta}\frac{\delta^{2}}{\delta {\phi}^{2}}[/itex]

I get [itex]-4e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Adding all the terms gives me;

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]sin^{2} \theta[/itex] [itex]-4e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Have I done something wrong?

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've factored out the [itex]-\hbar^2[/itex] so there's no minus sign in front of this term.

6. Nov 29, 2011 #5
    [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta\theta}[/itex] of

[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

is

[itex]2sin\theta(-cos\theta)e^{2i\phi}[/itex] = [itex]-2sin\theta cos\theta e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

surely?

So times by [itex] cot\theta [/itex]

is

[itex]-2 cos^{2} \theta e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

?

7. Nov 29, 2011 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No,

[itex] \frac{d}{d\theta}\sin\theta = \cos\theta,~~~\frac{d}{d\theta}\cos\theta = -\sin\theta.[/itex]

You'll want to doublecheck the first term as well then, but you had the overall sign correct there.

8. Nov 29, 2011 #7
    Oh my good lord.

This is just embarrassing. It's not like I'm even tired or anything, I just continuously made an elementary mistake.

Thanks. I'll be handing in my University resignation form tomorrow ._.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook