1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenfunction of Angular Momentum Squared Operator

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The square of the angular momentum operator is (in SPC);

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/67/54712598.png [Broken]

Show that Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) = C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Is an eigenfunction. C is a constant.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not able to get it in the form of (A number) times Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) = C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]. No matter what, I always end up with;

-2C[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex] - 4C[itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex] - and I don't know what to do with that.

This is clearly not what I want, there is an extra term that I just can't seem to eradicate. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2011 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You might want to show some of the earlier steps. You've made a mistake combining the first 2 terms.

4. Nov 29, 2011 #3
    Hmm, well with

[itex]\frac{\delta^{2}}{\delta\theta^{2}}[/itex] of Y([itex]\theta[/itex],[itex]\phi[/itex]) I get

(having taken the constant C out)

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex]([itex]sin^{2} - cos^{2}[/itex])

With [itex]cot\theta \frac{\delta}{\delta\theta}[/itex]

I get

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]\frac{cos\theta}{sin\theta} sin\theta cos\theta[/itex] = [itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]cos^{2}\theta[/itex]

and lastly with

[itex]\frac{1}{sin^{2}\theta}\frac{\delta^{2}}{\delta {\phi}^{2}}[/itex]

I get [itex]-4e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Adding all the terms gives me;

[itex]-2e^{2i\phi}[/itex][itex]sin^{2} \theta[/itex] [itex]-4e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

Have I done something wrong?

5. Nov 29, 2011 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've factored out the [itex]-\hbar^2[/itex] so there's no minus sign in front of this term.

6. Nov 29, 2011 #5
    [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta\theta}[/itex] of

[itex]sin^{2}[/itex][itex]\theta[/itex][itex]e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

is

[itex]2sin\theta(-cos\theta)e^{2i\phi}[/itex] = [itex]-2sin\theta cos\theta e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

surely?

So times by [itex] cot\theta [/itex]

is

[itex]-2 cos^{2} \theta e^{2i\phi}[/itex]

?

7. Nov 29, 2011 #6

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No,

[itex] \frac{d}{d\theta}\sin\theta = \cos\theta,~~~\frac{d}{d\theta}\cos\theta = -\sin\theta.[/itex]

You'll want to doublecheck the first term as well then, but you had the overall sign correct there.

8. Nov 29, 2011 #7
    Oh my good lord.

This is just embarrassing. It's not like I'm even tired or anything, I just continuously made an elementary mistake.

Thanks. I'll be handing in my University resignation form tomorrow ._.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook