Eigenfunctions of Rigid Rotator

In summary, the conversation discusses a system of two particles attached to a rigid rod that can rotate in three dimensions about the fixed center point. The allowed energies for this system are given by the equation E=(h-bar^2n(n+1))/(ma^2) for n = 0, 1, 2, ..., and the normalised eigenfunctions and degeneracy can be calculated using the moment of inertia and the quantum number l. Helpful resources for further understanding are also provided.
genloz

Homework Statement

Two particles of mass m are attached to the ends of a massless rigid rod of length a. The system is free to rotate in three dimensions about the centre (but the centre point itself is fixed).

Homework Equations

(a) Show that the allowed energies of this rigid rotator are
E=(h-bar^2n(n+1))/(ma^2) for n = 0, 1, 2, ...
(b) What are the normalised eigenfunctions for this system? What is the degeneracy of the nth energy level?

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I realize that this is related to the total angular moment (E=L^2/ma^2)... I'm just a little unsure as to how L^2 becomes (h-bar^2n(n+1)).

(b) I know that the degeneracy is 2n+1 for spherical harmonic based systems but I really am unsure how to work out the eigenfunctions and the steps to getting to that '2n+1' figure.

Thankyou very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] E_{\text{kin}} = \dfrac{I \omega^{2}}{2} = \dfrac{I^2 \omega^{2}}{2I} = \dfrac{L^2}{2I} [/tex]

I is moment of inertia.

Now if L operates on a eigenfunction, the eigenvalue is [tex] \sqrt{n(n+1)} [/tex] , where n is the quantum number for that pequliar eigenfunciton (its eigenvalue).

Last edited:
ok, thankyou... so I understand part (a), but how do I work out the normalised eignfunctions and the degeneracy?

Related to Eigenfunctions of Rigid Rotator

1. What is a rigid rotator?

A rigid rotator is a physical system, typically a molecule, that can rotate freely in space without experiencing any internal changes or distortions. It is often used as a simplified model for understanding molecular motion and spectroscopy.

2. What are eigenfunctions and why are they important in the study of rigid rotators?

Eigenfunctions are mathematical functions that represent the stationary states of a quantum mechanical system, such as a rigid rotator. They are important because they provide information about the energy levels and allowed rotational states of the system.

3. How are eigenfunctions of a rigid rotator determined?

The eigenfunctions of a rigid rotator can be determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system, which describes the behavior of quantum particles. This involves using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables and solving for the allowed energy levels and corresponding eigenfunctions.

4. Can the eigenfunctions of a rigid rotator be visualized?

Yes, the eigenfunctions of a rigid rotator can be visualized as three-dimensional plots showing the probability density of finding the molecule in a particular orientation in space. These plots can help us understand the distribution of energy and allowed rotational states of the system.

5. How do the eigenfunctions of a rigid rotator relate to the rotational energy levels?

The eigenfunctions of a rigid rotator correspond to the different rotational energy levels of the system. Each eigenfunction has a specific energy associated with it, and the higher the energy level, the more complex the shape of the eigenfunction becomes. This relationship between eigenfunctions and energy levels is important for understanding the behavior of rigid rotators.