1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue - geometric multiplicity proof

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given matrix A:

a 1 1 ... 1
    1 a 1 ... 1
    1 1 a ... 1
    .. . .. ... 1
    1 1 1 ... a

Show there is an eigenvalue of A whose geometric multiplicity is n-1. Express its value in terms of a.

2. Relevant equations

general eigenvalue/vector equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem is I'm not sure how to start it off.
    I can state A is square, symmetric and hermitian so I know it has to do with one or more of those. I tried going through using a determinant but it didn't seem to work nicely, I have a feeling that it might have to do with a property of symmetric matrices but am not sure how to go about the proof (or which property)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, first, what is the eigenvalue in question? To do that, of course, you will need to find the characteristic polynomial. I recommend starting with "1 by 1", "2 by 2", and "3 by 3" matrices to see if you can find a pattern. Do the same thing to find the eigenvectors corresponding to that eigenvalue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook