1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue proof. (2nd opinion if my proof is right please)

1. Jun 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if two linear operators A and B commute and have non-degenerate eigenvalues then the two operators have common eigenfunctions.

2. Relevant equations

[tex][A,B]= AB - BA= 0[/tex]

[tex] Af=af[/tex]

[tex] Bg=cg,\ let\ g=(f+1) --> B(f+1)=c(f+1)\ where\ a\neq c[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]Af[B(f+1)]-B(f+1)[Af]=0[/tex]
    [tex]Af(Bf+B)-(Bf+B)Af=0[/tex]

I have stopped here because I feel that I am on the wrong track. I have not used the fact that the eigenvalues are non-degenerate in this proof. Although continuation of what I am doing should show that the two operators commute..

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't want to show they commute. You already know that. You want to show they have common eigenfunctions. Look at [A,B]f where Af=af. That's ABf-BAf=A(Bf)-a(Bf)=0. That tells you Bf is also an eigenfunction of A corresponding to the eigenvalue a. Just like f. Now what does 'nondegenerate' tell you?

4. Jun 19, 2009 #3
    Ah that totally makes sense! Non-degenerate eigenvalues means different ie. (not the same) eigenvalues does it not?

5. Jun 19, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sort of. It means there is only one eigenvector (up to a constant multiple) corresponding to every eigenvalue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook