How to complete this derivative proof?

In summary: Yes, your proof is correct. You have effectively shown that if $f(a) \geq f(a+b)$ and $f''(x) \leq 0$ for all $x \in (0,2)$, then $\frac{af(a)+bf(b)}{a+b} \geq f(a+b)$. Good job!
Amad27

Homework Statement

Assume that $f(x)$ has two derivatives in $(0,2)$ and $0<a<b<a+b<2$.

Prove that if $f(a)\ge f(a+b)$ and $f″(x)\le 0$ $\forall x \in (0, 2)$, then:

$$\frac{af(a)+bf(b)}{a+b} \ge f(a+b) \tag 1$$

Homework Equations

Below

The Attempt at a Solution

**MY PROOF:**

If $(1)$ is true then : $af(a) + bf(b) \ge af(a + b) + bf(a + b)$ , since it is given that: $af(a) \ge af(a+b)$ the objective is to prove: $f(b) \ge f(a + b)$

Assume $f(b) < f(a + b) $

$$\frac{f(a + b) - f(b)}{a} > 0 \tag2$$

For some $x$ the **Mean Value Theorem** guarantees for $\exists x_1 \in (b, a+b)$ that $$f'(x_1) = \frac{f(a + b) - f(b)}{a} $$

Hence, $(2)$ really means: $f'(x_1) > 0$ for some $x_1 \in (b, a+b)$

Since, $f(a) \ge f(a + b)$:

$$\frac{f(a + b) - f(a)}{b} \le 0 \tag3$$

By the **Mean Value Theorem,** $\exists x_2 \in (a, a+b)$ such that $$f'(x_2) =\frac{f(a + b) - f(a)}{b}$$

Hence $(3)$ really means, $$f'(x_2) \le 0$$

1. Obviously, if $f'(x_2) = 0$ then $f''(x_2)$ is a max, which means $f''(x_2) = 0$
2. Since $x_1 > x_2$ there $\exists x_3 \in (x_1, x_2)$ such that $f'(x_3) = 0$, which means $f''(x_3)$ is a max, meaning $f''(x_3) = 0$ contadictions.I just need help with 1 above, what if $x_2$ was a minimum?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If x2 is a minimum then f is constant if x2 is neither 0 or 2.

Amad27 said:

Homework Statement

Assume that ##f(x)## has two derivatives in ##(0,2)## and ##0<a<b<a+b<2##.

Prove that if ##f(a)\ge f(a+b)## and ##f″(x)\le 0## ##\forall x \in (0, 2)##, then:
$$\frac{af(a)+bf(b)}{a+b} \ge f(a+b) \tag 1$$

Homework Equations

Below

The Attempt at a Solution

**MY PROOF:**

If ##(1)## is true then : ##af(a) + bf(b) \ge af(a + b) + bf(a + b)## , since it is given that: ##af(a) \ge af(a+b)## the objective is to prove: ##f(b) \ge f(a + b)##

Assume ##f(b) < f(a + b) ##
$$\frac{f(a + b) - f(b)}{a} > 0 \tag2$$
For some $x$ the **Mean Value Theorem** guarantees for $\exists x_1 \in (b, a+b)$ that $$f'(x_1) = \frac{f(a + b) - f(b)}{a} $$
Hence, $(2)$ really means: $f'(x_1) > 0$ for some $x_1 \in (b, a+b)$

Since, $f(a) \ge f(a + b)$:
$$\frac{f(a + b) - f(a)}{b} \le 0 \tag3$$
By the **Mean Value Theorem,** ##\exists x_2 \in (a, a+b)## such that $$f'(x_2) =\frac{f(a + b) - f(a)}{b}$$
Hence ##(3)## really means, $$f'(x_2) \le 0$$
1. Obviously, if ##f'(x_2) = 0## then ##f''(x_2)## is a max, which means ##f''(x_2) = 0##
2. Since ##x_1 > x_2## there ##\exists x_3 \in (x_1, x_2)## such that ##f'(x_3) = 0##, which means ##f''(x_3)## is a max, meaning ##f''(x_3) = 0## contadictions.I just need help with 1 above, what if $x_2$ was a minimum?

Thanks!
Use ## \small{\text{ ## ___ ## }} ## for delimiters for inline LaTeX.

I fixed up some of it.

RUber said:
If x2 is a minimum then f is constant if x2 is neither 0 or 2.

@RUber, is my proof correct though?

1. What is a derivative proof?

A derivative proof is a method used in calculus to show the relationship between a function and its derivative. It involves using the limit definition of a derivative to find the slope of a tangent line at a specific point on a curve.

2. How do I complete a derivative proof?

To complete a derivative proof, you will need to use the limit definition of a derivative, which states that the derivative of a function at a specific point is equal to the limit of the difference quotient as the change in x approaches 0. You will need to algebraically manipulate the difference quotient until you are left with the derivative of the function.

3. What is the difference quotient?

The difference quotient is a mathematical expression that represents the slope of a secant line between two points on a curve. It is used in the limit definition of a derivative to find the slope of the tangent line at a specific point.

4. What are the steps to complete a derivative proof?

The steps to complete a derivative proof are as follows: 1. Write out the limit definition of a derivative.2. Simplify the difference quotient.3. Take the limit as the change in x approaches 0.4. Manipulate the equation algebraically until you are left with the derivative of the function.5. Plug in the x-value of the point you are trying to find the derivative at.

5. Why are derivative proofs important in science?

Derivative proofs are important in science because they allow us to understand the relationship between a function and its derivative. This is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering, where derivatives are used to model rates of change and predict behavior of systems. Derivatives are also used in optimizations and in finding maximum and minimum values of functions, making them essential in many scientific applications.