1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Eigenvalues/vectors diagonalization

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose that [tex] A \in Mnxn(F) [/tex] has two distinct eigenvalues [tex]\lambda_{1}[/tex] and [tex]\lambda_{2}[/tex] and that [tex] dim(E_{\lambda_{1}}) = n - 1. [/tex] Prove that A is diagonalizable

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    hmm, I'm not sure.. how would I start this?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If the dimension of the eigenvector space corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda_1[/itex] is n- 1, then there are n-1 independent eigenvectors corresponding to [itex]\lambda_1[/itex]

That, together with an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda_2[/itex] gives you n independent vectors (eigenvectors corresponding to distinct eigenvalues are always independent) and form a basis for the vector space. The matrix for the linear transformation, written in that basis, is a diagonal matrix having [itex]\lambda_1[/itex] n-1 times on the main diagonal and [itex]\lambda_2[/itex] once.

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3
    thanks, I was thinking about that too, but for some reason my mind strayed and thought that I would need 2n independent vectors..
    I was also looking at a couple of the diagonal "if and only if" theorems. I saw a couple that might've been useful, like:
    T is diagonalizable if and only if the multiplicity of[tex]\lambda[/tex] is equal to [tex] dim(E_{\lambda})[/tex].
    And now I have to ask: how can you deduce the multiplicity of an eigenvalue without working out the characteristic polynomial and looking at the multiplicity of the factors?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook