Proving the Wielandt-Hoffman inequality

• Thread starter Demon117
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, for a symmetric matrix A, the kth largest eigenvalue is denoted by \lambda_{k}\left(A\right). Given two nxn symmetric matrices A and A+E, the following results need to be proven: (a) \sum(\lambda_{i}\left(A+E\right)-\lambda_{i}\left(A\right))^{2}<=norm(E)_{F}^{2} (Frobenius norm) and (b)|\lambda_{k}\left(A+E\right)-\lambda_{k}\left(A\right)|<=norm(E)_{2} (2-norm) for k=1,...,n. The Courant-Fischer Minimax theorem can be
Demon117

Homework Statement

For a symmetric matrix A, use the notation [tex]\lambda_{k}\left(A\right)[/tex] to denote the [tex]k^{th}[/tex] largest eigenvalue, thus

[tex]\lambda_{n}\left(A\righ)<=...<=\lambda_{2}\left(A\right)<=\lambda_{1}\left(A\right)[/tex]

Now suppose A and A+E are nxn symmetric matrices, prove the following results:

(a) [tex]\sum(\lambda_{i}\left(A+E\right)-\lambda_{i}\left(A\right))^{2}<=norm(E)_{F}^{2}[/tex] (Frobenius norm).

(b)[tex]|\lambda_{k}\left(A+E\right)-\lambda_{k}\left(A\right)|<=norm(E)_{2}[/tex] (2-norm) for k=1,...,n.

Homework Equations

Courant-Fischer Minimax theorem
[tex]\lambda_{k}\left(A\right)+\lambda_{k}\left(E\right)<=\lambda_{k}\left(A+E\right)<=\lambda_{k}\left(A\right)+\lambda_{1}\left(E\right)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not really sure how to use the Courant-Fischer Minimax theorem to establish that relationship in 2. If I had some pointers I am sure I could produce something.

Physics news on Phys.org
you all helped a bunch...

1. What is the Wielandt-Hoffman inequality?

The Wielandt-Hoffman inequality is a mathematical theorem that relates the eigenvalues of two matrices. It states that the sum of the eigenvalues of one matrix is always greater than or equal to the sum of the eigenvalues of another matrix, as long as the matrices have the same size and their entries satisfy certain conditions.

2. Who discovered the Wielandt-Hoffman inequality?

The Wielandt-Hoffman inequality was first proved by the mathematician Ernst Wielandt in 1938. Later, in 1950, the mathematician Helmut Hoffman independently rediscovered and published the inequality.

3. What is the significance of the Wielandt-Hoffman inequality?

The Wielandt-Hoffman inequality has many applications in mathematics, particularly in linear algebra and matrix theory. It is also used in the study of optimization problems and stability analysis of dynamical systems. Additionally, the inequality has connections to other important theorems, such as the Perron-Frobenius theorem.

4. How is the Wielandt-Hoffman inequality proved?

The proof of the Wielandt-Hoffman inequality involves using mathematical induction and the properties of eigenvalues and eigenvectors. It also relies on the properties of positive definite matrices and the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. The full proof can be found in many textbooks on linear algebra or matrix theory.

5. Are there any generalizations of the Wielandt-Hoffman inequality?

Yes, there are several generalizations of the Wielandt-Hoffman inequality, such as the Bhatia-Davis inequality and the Bhatia-Davis-Mingarelli inequality. These generalizations allow for more flexibility in the conditions of the matrices and provide more precise bounds on the eigenvalues. They also have various applications in mathematics and other fields.