Exponential matrix problem and Putzer's formula

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the exponential of a matrix and how to compute it using Putzer's formula. The solution involves finding an equation for a specific matrix raised to a power.
kamenoss

Homework Statement

[itex]e^{ \begin{bmatrix} \lambda_{1} & 0 \\ 1& \lambda_{2} \end{bmatrix}t } [/itex]=\begin{bmatrix} e^{\lambda_{1}t} & 0 \\
\frac{e^{\lambda_{2}t} - e^{\lambda_{1}t}}{ \lambda_{2} - \lambda_{1}} & e^{\lambda_{2}t}
\end{bmatrix}

with [itex]\lambda_{1}\neq \lambda_{2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Could someone solve this for me?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am no good at maths... with basic knowledge of linear algebra.
It looks like [itex]\lambda_{1} , \lambda_{2}[/itex] are the eigenvalues of a matrix A that solves a differential system. All indications are pointing to Putzer's formula, but everything i have tried failed. Probably i am missing something...

Thanks in advance...
p.s.Sorry for my terrible English

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically you write out the definition of the exponential:
[tex]
e^{x}=1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}+\cdots +\frac{x^{n}}{n!}+\cdots
[/tex]
To compute the LHS of your equation, you will have you figure out an equation for:
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\lambda_{1} & 0 \\
1 & \lambda_{2}
\end{array}\right)^{n}
[/tex]
and this will give you what you require.

1. What is an exponential matrix problem?

An exponential matrix problem involves finding the solution to an equation of the form Ax = b, where A is a matrix and x and b are vectors. This type of problem is commonly encountered in linear algebra and has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is Putzer's formula?

Putzer's formula is a method for calculating the exponential of a square matrix. It involves decomposing the matrix into a sum of simpler matrices and using a series expansion to find the exponential. This formula is useful for solving exponential matrix problems and has been proven to be more efficient than other methods.

3. How is Putzer's formula derived?

Putzer's formula is derived using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, which states that every square matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation. By substituting the matrix into its characteristic equation and using a series expansion, Putzer's formula can be obtained.

4. What are some applications of Putzer's formula?

Putzer's formula has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It is commonly used to solve differential equations, calculate the matrix exponential in quantum mechanics, and perform numerical simulations in dynamical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using Putzer's formula?

Putzer's formula has some limitations, such as being applicable only to square matrices and not being suitable for calculating the exponential of large matrices. In addition, it may not always provide the most accurate solution, as it involves truncating the series expansion at a certain point. However, it is still a useful and efficient method for solving many exponential matrix problems.