1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvectors/values and diff equations

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the higher order equation y'' + y = 0 can be written as a first order system by introducing y' as another unknown besides y:

2. Relevant equations
    d[y y']t/dt = [y' y'']t = [y' -y]t

if this is du/dt = Au what is 2x2 matrix A?
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I think it's
    [0 1]
    [-1 0]
    but then I get complex eigenvalues so I am a bit suspicious... could someone verify or help me out?
    thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are exactly correct. If you let x= dy/dt, then d2y/dt2= dx/dt+ y= 0 or dx/dt= -y so your two equations are dy/dt= x and dx/dt= -1. Letting Y(t)= (y(t) x(t))t, yes, your differential equation is
    [tex]Y(t)= \left[\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0\end{array}\right]Y(t)[/tex]
    and, yes, that has complex eigenvalues. Why does that bother you?
    I notice that the problem only asks you to write the matrix equation, not to find the eigenvalues or solve the equation so I guess you will learn what complex eigenvalues mean in this situation later.

4. Nov 6, 2011 #3
    I'm trying to finish the very same problem. In addition to what is stated above, the problem says: "Find its eigenvectors, and compute the solution that starts from y(0), y'(0)=0."

I found the eigenvalues to be i and -i, and the eigenvectors to be
    [1 -i]^T and [1 i]^T.

I wrote the solution to start as y(t)=(1/2)*e^it*[1 i]^T + (1/2)*e^-it*[1 -i]^T.

From there I don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions?

5. Nov 6, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

eit = cos(t) + isin(t)

Note that (1/2)(eit + e-it) = cos(t)
    and that (1/(2i))(eit - e-it) = sin(t)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?