Einstein-Hilbert term and mass, gravity

In summary: So in that sense it's "natural".In summary, the Einstein-Hilbert term couples mass and gravity in the Lagrangian, which contains spacetime curvature and non-gravitational fields. The coupling between the two is described by the Einstein Field Equation, which is obtained by varying the Lagrangian with respect to the metric. This is a natural process in calculus and it is the basis for the action principle, where the metric is considered a fundamental field. This coupling also applies to energy in general, as demonstrated by the deflection of even electrically neutral particles by an electromagnetic field.
Tomahoc
It is said that the Einstein-Hilbert term in the following couple mass and gravity.

Lagrangian = R/(16*pi*GN) [Einstein-Hilbert term] + L (nongravitational)

How is the above derived? Is it enough to prove that there should be a theory of quantum gravity since mass and gravity are coupled together in that term?

Physics news on Phys.org
That Lagrangian does not have the form L = Lgrav + Lmatter + Linteraction which is usually necessary. If there was such a term it would be something like θabTab where θ is the field and T is the matter SET as in field theory gravity (FTG). I understand that this term gives rise to the spin-2 carrier bosons. I'm no expert though.

Tomahoc said:
It is said that the Einstein-Hilbert term in the following couple mass and gravity.

Can you give a specific reference where this is said? The usual interpretation that I'm familiar with is that the Einstein-Hilbert term only contains spacetime curvature (i.e., "gravity"), and the other term, which you call L(nongravitational), only contains the "matter", which means all non-gravitational fields. The only coupling between the two, as far as classical GR is concerned, comes from the Einstein Field Equation, which is obtained by varying the Lagrangian with respect to the metric.

PeterDonis said:
Can you give a specific reference where this is said? The usual interpretation that I'm familiar with is that the Einstein-Hilbert term only contains spacetime curvature (i.e., "gravity"), and the other term, which you call L(nongravitational), only contains the "matter", which means all non-gravitational fields. The only coupling between the two, as far as classical GR is concerned, comes from the Einstein Field Equation, which is obtained by varying the Lagrangian with respect to the metric.

What I heard is just like what you described, that the coupling between them comes from the Einstein Field Equation, which as you said is "obtained by varying the Lagrangian with respect to the metric". Can you please describe what it means to "vary the Lagrangian with respect to the metric"? Is varying the Lagrangian natural or kinda forced?

That's the whole idea behind the action principle; you regard the metric as fundamental field. The action is then a functional of the metric, and its extremum gives the EOM.

You can look at e.g. Carroll's notes for a nice motivation for this action: it is "simple" and contains up to second order derivatives of the metric.

Btw, it's not just mass, but energy in general which couples to gravity. An electromagnetic field curves spacetime, deflecting even electrically neutral particles.

Tomahoc said:
What I heard is just like what you described, that the coupling between them comes from the Einstein Field Equation

That's not the same as saying "the Einstein-Hilbert term couples mass and gravity", which is what you said in the OP. That's why I wasn't sure what you were referring to.

Tomahoc said:
Can you please describe what it means to "vary the Lagrangian with respect to the metric"?

As haushofer said, you find the extremum of the action (the action is just the integral of the Lagrangian over all of spacetime), and that gives you the equation of motion (which is what the Einstein Field Equation is: it's the "equation of motion" for gravity).

Finding the extremum just means taking the derivative (of the action) and finding where it is zero. Varying "with respect to the metric" just means the metric is what you take the derivative of the action with respect to.

Tomahoc said:
Is varying the Lagrangian natural or kinda forced?

I'm not sure what you would consider "natural" vs. "forced". Finding the extremum of a function by finding where its derivative is zero is an elementary operation in calculus.

1. What is the Einstein-Hilbert term?

The Einstein-Hilbert term is a mathematical expression that is used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to describe the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How does the Einstein-Hilbert term relate to mass?

The Einstein-Hilbert term is directly related to mass because it describes the gravitational effects of mass on the curvature of space-time. The more mass an object has, the greater its gravitational pull and the more it will affect the curvature of space-time.

3. What is the significance of the Einstein-Hilbert term in understanding gravity?

The Einstein-Hilbert term is crucial in understanding gravity because it is the mathematical representation of how mass and energy interact with space-time to create the force of gravity. Without this term, we would not have a complete understanding of how gravity works.

4. Can the Einstein-Hilbert term be applied to all types of mass?

Yes, the Einstein-Hilbert term can be applied to all types of mass, whether it is a planet, star, or even a tiny particle. As long as an object has mass, it will contribute to the curvature of space-time and be described by the Einstein-Hilbert term.

5. Is the Einstein-Hilbert term the only factor that affects gravity?

No, the Einstein-Hilbert term is not the only factor that affects gravity. Other factors such as the distribution of mass and energy, as well as the speed and direction of objects, also play a role in the overall strength and behavior of gravity.