Understanding the Einstein Notation for Derivatives in Quantum Field Theory

• Thread starter spacelike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the book says that if we use the Lagrangian\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}\eta^{\mu\mu}(\partial_\mu\phi)(\partial_\mu\phi) -\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2we get the equation of motion correct, but when I try to work it out I get something weird that I don't understand.
spacelike
I'm trying to get into quantum field theory, I've seen Einstein notation before and I think I'm grasping it fairly well, but I've ran into two things that I just could not figure out and they both involved derivatives, or gradients.
My problem is just mathematical, doesn't have to do with the physics at all.

Can anyone please help me understand the following from the book An introduction to quantum field theory by Peskin and Schroeder. I have another issue, but I don't want this post to get too long and I'm hoping that if I understand this I will understand my other problem as well:

==================================
The book gives the following:
[tex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)^{2}-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi^{2}[/tex]
Now, the thing I don't understand is that the book says if we use this lagrangian with the Euler-Lagrange equation:
[tex]\partial_{\mu}\left( \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial(\partial_{\mu}\phi)}\right)-\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\phi}=0[/tex]
and they say that plugging that lagrangian into the above will give:
[tex](\partial^{\mu}\partial_{\mu}+m^{2})\phi=0[/tex]

Now, when I try to work this out I get this instead:
[tex](\partial_{\mu}\partial_{\mu}+m^{2})\phi=0[/tex]
which is obviously wrong I think, but I don't understand where the raised subscript comes from in their answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is better if you write the lagrangian in the form

[itex] \mathcal{L} = \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\mu\mu} (\partial_\mu \phi) (\partial_\mu \phi) - \frac{1}{2} m^2 \phi^2 [/itex]

where [itex]\eta^{\mu\mu}[/itex] is the metric for flat space

The metric raises the index of the first [itex] \partial_\mu [/itex] of the Euler-Lagrange equation as [itex] \partial^\mu = \eta^{\mu\mu} \partial_\mu [/itex] and you get the final equation correctly

Very roughly, the derivative has an index, [itex]\mu[/itex], as a subscript in the denominator. Without the derivative notation, that becomes a superscript just as a negative power in the denominator of a fraction becomes a positive power in the numerator.

vik's notation is incorrect because it does not obey the Einstein summation convention and I suspect he just made some typos but his idea is the correct one. We can rewrite the klein gordon lagrangian as [itex]\mathcal{L} = -\frac{1}{2}\eta ^{\mu \nu }(\partial _{\mu }\phi)( \partial _{\nu }\phi )-\frac{1}{2}m^{2}\phi ^{2}[/itex]. Then, [itex]\frac{\partial \mathcal{L} }{\partial \phi } = -m^{2}\phi , \frac{\partial \mathcal{L} }{ \partial (\partial _{\mu }\phi)} = -\eta ^{\mu \nu }\partial _{\nu }\phi [/itex] so the equations of motion are just [itex]\partial ^{\mu }\partial _{\mu }\phi - m^{2}\phi = 0[/itex] as usual.

1. What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as Einstein summation convention, is a mathematical notation commonly used in physics and engineering to express and simplify equations involving vectors and tensors. It uses a compact notation where repeated indices imply summation.

2. What is a 4-gradient?

A 4-gradient, also known as a covariant gradient, is a mathematical operator used in the theory of relativity to describe the change of a quantity with respect to a change in spacetime coordinates. It is a 4-dimensional generalization of the traditional gradient operator in mathematics.

3. How is Einstein notation used in 4-gradients?

In Einstein notation, the 4-gradient is written as ∂μ, where μ represents the spacetime coordinates. The repeated index μ implies summation, so the full expression can be written as ∂μ = (∂/∂xμ, ∂/∂yμ, ∂/∂zμ, ∂/∂tμ). This notation helps to simplify and express equations involving 4-gradients in a concise and elegant manner.

4. What is the significance of 4-gradients in relativity?

4-gradients are crucial in the theory of relativity as they allow us to describe how quantities change in different frames of reference. They help to characterize spacetime curvature and play a fundamental role in understanding the laws of physics in the presence of gravity.

5. Can Einstein notation be applied to other mathematical operations?

Yes, Einstein notation can be applied to various mathematical operations, such as derivatives, integrals, and tensor products. It is a powerful tool for simplifying and condensing equations in various fields of mathematics and physics.