Elastic collision/ projectile motion

In summary, two masses, m1= 4kg and m2= 8kg, are on a frictionless table of unknown height. M1 is moving at 3m/s towards m2 which is at rest. After collision, m1 has a velocity of 2m/s and m2 has a velocity of 1m/s. The collision happened in such a way that m2 was placed 0.66667m from the edge of the table. The question is asking for the distance each mass travels from the base of the table. The problem can be solved using simultaneous equations involving the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy.
rugbygirl2
I have a 4kg mass (m1) moving at 3m/s towards a 8kg mass (m2) at rest on a 2m long frictionless table that is of unknown height. I solved for the velocities after the collsion m1= 2m/s and m2= 1m/, suppose the two masses were placed so that they left the edges of the table in opposite directions at the same time, ie the collision happened so that m2 was placed 0.66667m from the edge. What is the distance that each travels from the base of the table (delta x).
I have
m1= 4kg, and a initial vx of 2 m/s
m2= 8kg, and a initial vx of 1 m/s
I do not know the height or time of flight so any way I substitute equations I get 2 unknowns. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
This probably belongs in the homework section. You should show how you calculated your velocities. Hint: The values may be correct, but recheck which velocity is for which mass, and be alert for a rebound after collision. Try using simultaneous equations involving the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy.

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the given information and identifying the variables that are known and unknown. From the given information, we know the masses of the objects (m1=4kg, m2=8kg), their initial velocities (m1=3m/s, m2=0m/s), and the length of the table (2m). The unknown variables are the height of the table, the time of flight, and the distance traveled by each object (delta x).

To solve for the distance traveled by each object, we can use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. In an elastic collision, the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system are conserved. This means that the sum of the initial momenta of the objects (m1v1 + m2v2) is equal to the sum of the final momenta (m1v1' + m2v2') and the sum of the initial kinetic energies (1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2) is equal to the sum of the final kinetic energies (1/2m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2).

Using these principles, we can set up the following equations:

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1v1'^2 + 1/2m2v2'^2

Substituting the known values, we get:

(4kg)(3m/s) + (8kg)(0m/s) = (4kg)(2m/s) + (8kg)(1m/s)

(1/2)(4kg)(3m/s)^2 + (1/2)(8kg)(0m/s)^2 = (1/2)(4kg)(2m/s)^2 + (1/2)(8kg)(1m/s)^2

Solving these equations, we get:

v1' = 2m/s
v2' = 1m/s

Now, to find the distance traveled by each object, we can use the equation for projectile motion:

delta x = v0t + 1/2gt^2

Where v0 is the initial

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that no energy is lost or gained during the collision, and the objects involved bounce off each other without any deformation or permanent change in shape.

2. How is the momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in an elastic collision because the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is due to the fact that there is no external force acting on the system, so the net momentum remains constant.

3. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses. The conservation of momentum and kinetic energy takes into account the masses of the objects, so as long as there is no external force acting on the system, an elastic collision can occur regardless of the masses of the objects.

4. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola and is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational force of the object.

5. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and gravitational force. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the trajectory of a projectile. Additionally, the mass and shape of the object can also affect its trajectory through air resistance and drag forces.