1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic curve of cantilever beam

1. Apr 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using method of integration, determine the elastic curve for the beam and calculate the total deflection at a point A (end) of the beam. Use EI as a constant.
    See word document attached with diagram.

2. Relevant equations
    EIV''(x) = - M(x)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know how to integrate to get the deflection formula but I'm not sure how to calculate M(x) with the moment at the free end.
    Is it M(x) = -w/2(L-x)^2 + M(a)(x/L)
    or M(x) = -w/2(L-x)^2 + M(a)

Why do some problems in my textbook (Mechanics of materials, Gere) include the support reactions in M(x) and others don't? Do I need to include the support the reactions?

Also will my answer be in meters e.g. v = 100m/EI ?

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

If there's a moment on the free end of the beam, the moment diagram M(x) is constant, right? You can set your coordinate system with a positive direction from the free end to the fixed end, and then use integration to determine w(x). You need a boundary condition to find the constant of integration, which actually equals the deflection at the free end.

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the reply.

So it will be M(x) = -w/2(L-x)^2 + M(a) ?
    It's for an assignment and the question is given with the origin of the coordinate system at the fixed end, so I can't change it. The boundary conditions are v'(0) = 0 and v(0) = 0, so both constants will be zero and I should get:

EIv''(x) = (wL^2)/2 - Lwx + (wx^2)/2 - M(a)
    EIv'(x) = (wLx)/2 - (wlx^2)/2 + (wx^3)/6 - M(a)x
    EIv(x) = (wlx^2)/4 - (wlx^3)/6 + (wx^4)/24 - (M(a)x^2)/2

The last one will be the elastic curve and then I just sub all the values in, with x=L and I will get the deflection at the free end. Does that sound right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook